Choices, not sure which way to go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
My CL is up for sale now, mainly because of it's mileage and getting near three years old, so want to shift it before it drops like a brick. (if anyone is interested in a lovley CL500 let me know! )

Problem is I'm not sure what to get next - my new new car is on order and will be here in just over one years time so I'm only looking for a stop gap car, that wont loose too much money in the meantime

So far here is my short list in order:
  • SL350 - should hold it's money well as there is strong demand
  • E320 CDI - our ML CDI is great and has only lost about 4k in a 1.5 years
  • VW Passat TDI - don't know why, but somethings pulling me towards it (probably the offer of a new one below cost is why)
  • E55 Kompressor - less money than a SL500 and faster, but will not hold its money like a SL
    [/list=a]

Which one would you go with and why??? (or any other car for that matter)

Cheers! :D

Last edited:
SL350 , where the smart money is.

You could get the passat , but ... would be quite a shock i think.

You have to balance.

Dropping to a Passat, great car don't get me wrong, but it will be a shock. But what the performance on your Aston going to be? Better get something that wont make it feel too un-special - would not an E55 be overkill on performance?

The SL sounds the most fun for a stop gap.

Just don't get the passat... what a come down that would be.

Won't the SL350 and E55 have long waiting lists? I'm sure the E320cdi would hold its value well.

Thinking with my head - SL350: I would have thought that this car would depreciate the least over the short period you intend to keep it.

Thinking with my heart - SL350: Should be great fun :D :bannana: Heh the ideal 'stop-gap' until the Aston arrives :cool:

S.

Guys, the SL might lose relatively less, but the VW will lose less in absolute value...

If your getting a VW below cost, then your not gonna lose much at all in a year.. They are great sellers and the diesels are pretty powerfull and reliable... Weve got one in the family..they are good cars..

SL is obviously the best car, but you will lose a few grand im sure, only for the sake of a few months...

What have you got on order by the way??

You need one more flagship type MB so we can go in style again to the German GTG next year.....

.......before you join the Aston owners club. Bet they know how to hold a jolly splendid get together!

If the decision was based purely on finances then go for the Passat as you wont lose much on it.

But do you think you would be happy driving a VW Passat (nice, good car!) after your'e CL whilst waiting for an Aston Martin??

Audi RS6 ?

I hear they are pretty quick - I bet the depreciation is very minor as well ... nicer than a Passat ;)

BMW X5 . Residuals like no other.

4.6i is mighty quick too

It's got to be the SL350, if you can get on in a reasonable timeframe....

....either that, or I can highly recommend a M3 for a bit of a laugh!!:rock:

Matt
If I were you I would probably say E320 CDI. As you have witnessed their performance, though not as great around corners as you are use to. They are reasonable to service with not bad fuel figures and a lively car. What could you want!

If I had the money then personally I would have an E55 (what a lovely car).
Good luck with your choice.
Cheers
Ian

Originally posted by sym
Audi RS6 ?

I hear they are pretty quick - I bet the depreciation is very minor as well ... nicer than a Passat ;)

The jet-black RS6 unmarked police car that patrols the M4 certainly is ;) :p

S.

Will the outlay on the new vehicle, coupled with the depreiciation on the new vehicle, actually be less than the cost of keeping the existing car for another 12 months, and swollowing the greater deprieciation on that??................. follow my drift??

Thanks Guys. Looking good on the SL350 which I should be able to get by October if I place my order now (PS, if anyone wants a new, yet to be spec'ed SL500 for September delivery let me know)

The E320 is also tempting me.

Regarding the other vehicles, I have looked at the RS6, but I would rather have an E55 if I were to be getting a fast saloon.

I fancy the M3 no doubt, however I'm not sure about residuals in a years time, there seem to be loads of them in this area. If they weren’t so many around I'm certain I would have one.

Never liked the 911 styling, just can't get on with it.
X5, we already have an ML, which put me off fast'ish 4x4's!

What about C32, anyone know how they are holding up?

Dave, I wish I could keep the CL, however mine is loosing money too quick. Guess it's value now! By the end of the year it would loose another 5k, then I still have nearly a year to wait for the Aston! :(

What about an ex demo SL350?

I know of two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom