Choices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tron

Car
S203 220CDI.
w124 or w126, R129 or even SLK? One only and no more than £5000. Useable toy for a second car.
Which is the best car for the money? The classic or something modern?

Last edited:
I've had several w126s down the years but for your budget I reckon you'd only get neglected and tired out shoddy examples. I'd go for the w124 or r129. Good luck.

R129 for £5k or less? Is that possible?

W210 E55 AMG?

Probably rusty, but the oily bits are strong and the moldy bodywork's pretty straightforward to repair. It'd have all the modern electronic toys to go wrong though.

Thanks. W210 is not on the agenda. Don't like the look of 'em although Mum loved hers.
There seem to be a few reasonable R129s around for my budget but I think the classic market is getting overheated, maybe not as much for the 124 as for certain others (BMW E30 for example,) but when the asking price for an E-type is now £150,000 and there was a ten acre field of them at Goodwood, I feel that the bubble may soon burst. No votes for the SLK, surprisingly. I am surprised that the W126 is harder to find in good order than a 124. Most coupes are now in the hands of either people who won't part with them or people who fit rubber band tyres and ornate wooden steering wheels to them. Not my taste.

How about the one described in this thread?

It'll need rather a lot of work I suspect but it's the most desirable of the W124 estates with 7 seats and the indestructible MBTex interior.

Best parts would be:

a) you'd be saving a decent ex-Nick Froome car from the scrapyard
b) you'd be doing another MBclub member a favor
c) it woudln't cost much
d) with the OM606 engine already fitted all the 'plumbing' is already there for doing a SuperTurboDiesel mod :)

What would help your decision no end is to decide if you want a convertible or not. I had that Eureka moment about 14 years ago, and I bought an R129, as I'm not an SLK fan.

I still have it, and I'm local to you in Bournemouth. If you'd like to see what they are like as a potential toy, pm me.

I'm with you 100% on convertibles, they're very practical in the winter too if you get one with a removable hardtop - my 306 cabriolet's powerful heater and small cabin means it heats up and de-ices faster than a normal saloon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom