Choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhantomF4

Car
R230 Thulite Red
So we have decided our CLK Convertible is nearing the end of its stay with us. We’ve enjoyed its comfort, performance and practicality for almost ten years. On those days when the sun has visited our wee part of the country, it’s given us many happy miles of top down motoring.

Now we have our CLK replacement (a 2007 SL) safely tucked up in the garage for the winter, we are looking for a “sensible” replacement for our Jaguar F-Pace as we have decided we are not utilising many of its unique features and although it’s a great drive and it is generally very refined, it can be a bit “bouncy” on less than perfect roads. We don’t really need a hatchback and although awd can be useful for a few weeks a year, we’ve come to the conclusion that comfort and a decent driving experience are our main considerations.

A decent sized boot would be useful as we do occasionally head off for weekends with others from our extended family. Given our annual mileage we are fortunate to not have to worry too much about fuel consumption.

As we’ve already owned most of the Jaguar/Landrover product range we are looking for a change and given the success we’ve had in owning our C Class, CLK Coupé, SLK, CLK and (hopefully) our SL, we are leaning heavily towards the three pointed star.

With friends and family based everywhere from Plymouth to Inverness we need a car we can enjoy travelling in if we are able to visit these far flung guys and gals.

I don’t want to influence anyone’s suggestion with my own thoughts because I change my mind almost every day, so tell me what you guys think?

How about a CLS shooting brake? Petrol V8 - maybe an AMG if the budget will allow? :cool:

...we are looking for a “sensible” replacement for our Jaguar F-Pace as we have decided we are not utilising many of its unique features and although it’s a great drive and it is generally very refined, it can be a bit “bouncy” on less than perfect roads....

A Jaguar that's bouncy on less than perfect roads... blyme, things have changed a bit since the sixties... :D

The W205 estate is a very practical car?

S class

He said he doesn't need a hatchback

E Class with AirMATIC I would say.

S Class is a good shout if you can find one with Magic Body Control.

I'd also suggest a C or E class estate provided it has enough "toys". Our S204 C220Cdi Elegance has full leather, heated seats, Comand NTG4 (updateable with second user DVD's now), telephone prep, electric tailgate, 17" wheels, it also has linguatronic (which I don't use, I find it useless). It's a really comfortable cruiser, economical to run and service, we've had it over 8 years, current mileage about 110k and running like a sewing machine, we have no intention of changing it (which for us historically is very unusual). We find the boot adequate, and having parked it next to the equivalent E class we'd find that too big. As for performance, ours has 175BHP and enough torque to surprise many off the line, but I suspect there's also a good argument for the C350Cdi V6!

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Not sure we need the carrying capacity of an estate and although the CLS shooting brake is an interesting idea we weren’t keen on the saloon’s rear accommodation. Maybe worth a look though.

The E class coupe has some appeal but a saloon would probably more practical for our elderly friends and relatives.

I’m leaning towards an E class but an S class at the right price will definitely be considered.

Whatever we decide on it’ll be petrol powered because our life involves too many short journeys to justify a diesel with potential DPF issues.

Thanks again

I've had a modern c class, a few sl's including a 63, a few big lexus(which I would recommend), range rover, and numerous others, but the oldish S class is the car I would go for, for comfort, luxury and class.
If I didn't want a convertible I'd have an S.

As it'll be your "daily driver" I wouldn't discount the practicality of an estate - a supermarket run becomes easy to put into and take out of the boot, low loading lip and loads of space to pile the bags into, rather easier than lifting them over the higher load lip of a saloon or coupe. Likewise getting suitcases etc in and out on the occasional trip away. We thought we'd loose the estate car once we were no longer carting prams, pushchairs etc, youngest is now 35 and we still have one - and would not change it. IMHO the C estate is easier than en E or S as it's that much smaller but still large enough, especially in supermarket car parks where the parking bays have not changed size in 30 years - although virtually every car has, and they've not shrunk!

I used my SL63 for runs to the tip, I use my C class cabrio now, thats what the boot is for?

If you can't get your sh!te in a saloon get a Qashqai.

Is this a pensioners thread?

E Class with AirMATIC I would say.

S Class is a good shout if you can find one with Magic Body Control.

E Class saloon I meant.

S Class has AirMATIC as standard so any will be good.

If you are looking at the W222 (2013 > 2020), the petrol S400 Hybrid and S500 exist from launch. Later on came the S450 and S560 from facelift I think (late 2017).

I use my S500 all the time and I love it. One of the best cars I've owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom