Choosing a laptop...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I need some advice on a new laptop.... I was hoping Steve would announce a blu-ray enabled, touch-screen laptop (at least that way my company would buy/pay for it) but alas no.

So, Apple wont work...

I'm not looking for anything too powerful, but I does need
- 15" screen (I'm half blind from the hours spent in front of a screen)
- Blu Ray burner
- Touch Screen

The touch-screen being the most important part. The screen flipping and turning the thing into a touchpad is nice, but not a requirement... (spec-wise a generic 2 Core, 2/4gb of ram 120+Gb HD seems sufficient)

Dell isn't being helpful, neither is Toshiba (or their sites aren't).

Any ideas/recomendations?

M.

Sounds like you want a Tablet pc?

Hows about this?

Well you will only get a touch screen laptop in a Tablet PC - and as tablet PC's are designed to be ultra light most of them will not have a built in DVD bay - let alone a Blu Ray.

So, I think you will struggle in getting a Blu-Ray burner, and a touch screen in a laptop.

Additionally, why do you need a blu ray burner? player yes, burner? with the cost of blu ray media is not a feasible option yet.

Also, you will not get a 15" tablet PC, most will be between 8" and 12", 10.4" being the most common.

Yups, something like that would do nicely, but with a bigger screen :p!

Gonna do some research on tablet PC's later on; might have been searching for the wrong term!

M.

Dell Latitude XT - 12" tablet PC. No blueray tho. I agree with wizzkid11, tablets are usually 8-12".

15" tablet plus BlueRay burner, IF you can find one, you're talking HUGE money.

The toshiba tablets are like bricks. I bought a R700 or M700 forget now for work to test and its huge and heavy.

I think costso have a couple a small HP one, but not sure about the blueray drive?

Can I ask, why touch screen?

I've been playing with Windows 7 (for a whole day); as well as being a heavy OneNote user...

While I've always known I didn't use OneNote to it's full potential, I saw someone using it with a touchscreen, gave it a try and was totally converted. Only issue is that I was something bigger/more powerfull...

Seems like the Dell XT is my best bet, the touch-screen is dual-touch/multi-touch too... will need to drop some options though, sad...

(on a side note, I say a dual-touchscreen laptop, the keyboard is nothing more than a touchscreen...)

M.

OneNote is one of the most used applications in our team. From screen captures to live meeting shares - add it to Sharepoint and its even more powerful.

You may find this useful... TABLET PC GUIDE - a couple of the guys in our team use tablets and wouldn't touch anything else... personally I went for powerhouse laptop (with Blu-Ray :) )

OneNote is one of the most used applications in our team. From screen captures to live meeting shares - add it to Sharepoint and its even more powerful.

You may find this useful... TABLET PC GUIDE - a couple of the guys in our team use tablets and wouldn't touch anything else... personally I went for powerhouse laptop (with Blu-Ray :) )

My one qualm with OneNote is that MS Equation editor isn't integrated; I need to type the equation in Word then copy it over. (Hence, a touchscreen ;))

That list is great, thanks! I need to find a... powertablet? :p
M.

My one qualm with OneNote is that MS Equation editor isn't integrated; I need to type the equation in Word then copy it over. (Hence, a touchscreen ;))

That list is great, thanks! I need to find a... powertablet? :p
M.

What version of OneNOte are you using?

MS Equation Editor is there and functional in OneNote 2007.... it may not be visible dependant one whenit was installed and the order of installation.

You can go into OneNote installation...

Control Panel --> Add/Remove programs --> MS OneNote --> CHANGE

Then select the add/remove features and look under Microsoft Tools - Equation Editor should be listed there.....

What version of OneNOte are you using?

MS Equation Editor is there and functional in OneNote 2007.... it may not be visible dependant one whenit was installed and the order of installation.

You can go into OneNote installation...

Control Panel --> Add/Remove programs --> MS OneNote --> CHANGE

Then select the add/remove features and look under Microsoft Tools - Equation Editor should be listed there.....

Thanks for the advice, but that doesn't work...

Add/Remove Programs -> MS Office Enterprise 2007 -> Change ->

under OneNote, there is no option to choose Eq Editor. Under shared features there is editor, but it's already installed... so I assume it's there...

Where do I find it though!? I looked through OneNote help, but couldn't find Eq.Editor.

At the moment, I'm using my XDA as a touch-screen, (using OneNote mobile, set to sync automatically)... but it's not the same thing :p

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom