Choppy MP3 music playback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S65, CLK5.6TT (WIP) & RRS 5.0 SC
As my luck would have it, soon after I celebrated the joy of listening to MP3 songs in the new to me 2006 S-Class, I discovered that the playback is kind of choppy. Not smooth continuous play but as if someone cut out split seconds out of songs randomly. I’ve since reflashed the card a couple of times but the problem is still there.

The card is a 32GB SanDisk. Adapter says Tera PCMCIA from Amazon.

Help!

Try and reduce the nitrate of your files?

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

As my luck would have it, soon after I celebrated the joy of listening to MP3 songs in the new to me 2006 S-Class, I discovered that the playback is kind of choppy. Not smooth continuous play but as if someone cut out split seconds out of songs randomly. I’ve since reflashed the card a couple of times but the problem is still there.

The card is a 32GB SanDisk. Adapter says Tera PCMCIA from Amazon.

Help!

Have you tried a different sd card?

Try and reduce the nitrate of your files?

Bitrate you mean? Will have to try that but it would be a heck of a job to convert all of them down from 320 to 128 if it works! Will give it a try.

Have you tried a different sd card?

Not yet but will have to now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else, please feel free to throw ideas at me. I need to get the MP3 working. Switching from BBC R4 -> R3 -> R2 -> R1 -> Heart and back is not fun.

As others suggested try a faster card, class 10 should do it. And yes I meant bitrate

So I tried to convert a few albums from 320 to 192 and so far they sound fine (they were skipping the worst). Then there's also songs in 320 that played absolutely fine and never skipped. So it's a mystery but I'll stick with 192 bitrate. The card is Class 10 so no issues with speed. Will update this thread after I have listened to a few more albums in a few days. Thanks again.

192kbs/s is about the best it's worth having in a car, most people can't hear the difference in a car due to all the other cabin noise and manufacturer fitted ICE often can't reproduce the full range of sound you'd need for accurate playback of lossless music anyway so don't feel like you are losing anything.

So I tried to convert a few albums from 320 to 192 and so far they sound fine (they were skipping the worst). Then there's also songs in 320 that played absolutely fine and never skipped. So it's a mystery but I'll stick with 192 bitrate. The card is Class 10 so no issues with speed. Will update this thread after I have listened to a few more albums in a few days. Thanks again.

Just put an 8 track player in it Alex, no messing with technical stuff then and it would compliment the car. ;)

Those where the days Dave :D

PCMCIA is 33MB/s that's 240bps. Some of your songs play fine because they don't use the entire bandwidth e.g less music and vocal data

Just put an 8 track player in it Alex, no messing with technical stuff then and it would compliment the car. ;)

Oh come on D, it's not a W100. ;)

Which I absolute love by the way, but it wouldn't make a nice daily driver unlike the 221.

PCMCIA is 33MB/s that's 240bps. Some of your songs play fine because they don't use the entire bandwidth e.g less music and vocal data

I thought PCMCIA were a bit faster than that at 133MB/s (MegaByte)? Which should make a 240Kb/s (Kilobit) a no brainer to read. The SD card is rated to 80MB/s (again MegaByte) so the medium is not a problem. Either the adapter is choking the playback or the MB hardware.

Either way, converting everything to 192 seems like a workaround.

First gen of cards is 33MB.not sure what you have

Why not get a BT module and stream playback from your phone? I use the Viseoo and it plays Spotify on extreme quality
Only downside is lack of track info mostly due to lazyness on behalf of viseoo

Why not get a BT module and stream playback from your phone? I use the Viseoo and it plays Spotify on extreme quality
Only downside is lack of track info mostly due to lazyness on behalf of viseoo

Unless both Bluetooth devices specifically state otherwise the wireless link will be compressing the signal if you try to put full sized lossless music files through it.

Of the three phones I owned, both Sony ones have fantastic quality and no issues(xz/xz2 premium). Sony uses their soundbar technology in those phones. The one plus 6 sounded flat and with no depth and would eventually start sounding choppy.
I am a big audiophile and actually not a huge fan of BT audio.

I have an android head unit in my car with an internet connection, not audiophile or anything like it but it does do pretty much everything a normal computer does as well as having am/fm and DAB+ so you get a good choice of ways to go music wise

Happy to report that the 192Kb/s music plays smoothly and continuously.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Alex have you got any pics of your S600? I have the same car which I've done up (still doing things to it) and it would be nice to see another s600 as I haven't seen another s600 w221 on this forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom