Chris Harris on Cars: Audi RS6 Vs CLS63 AMG Shooting Break

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
[YOUTUBE]Xm_RvrS67VU&[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks Karl,

Yet again the Merc gearbox lets it down (comparatively speaking) :(.

Lighter, more torquey, more powerful, yet it still loses to the Audi, by some margin, in the acceleration test, with the difference being attributed to the Audi 8 speed box.

Is it that the MB box is that bad or that the Audi box is just that good?

Tony.

Hopefully the new 9-speed 'box will sort it out!

Audi's 4WD is what is making it quicker ..

They should test RS6 against an E63S or CLS63S LHD model with 4WD and max power.

Audi's 4WD is what is making it quicker ..

They should test RS6 against an E63S or CLS63S LHD model with 4WD and max power.

Or just do a rolling start. In fact I'm surprised they didn't.

I know some mag tested the E63AMG 4matic, they're getting well under 4secs!! That would have beaten the RS6!

Last edited:
He does say hes just testing "Whats currently available" (in the UK)

Is it that the MB box is that bad

No it's good.

or that the Audi box is just that good?

It's the ZF 8HP box.

And yes. It is good enough to be remarkable at the moment. Very smooth and quick shifts under full power acceleration - and almost like a CVT when pottering about under light load.

Hopefully the new 9-speed 'box will sort it out!

So far the new 9 speed box appears to be a replacement for the 7g+.

The AMG's don't use the 7g+ as such (with it's torque converter), they use a 7 speed MCT dual clutch unit.

It would be great if there was a new 9 speed MCT box due, for the AMG's.

That Merc looks like a hearse.. :devil:
I'd have the RS6 any day. If you're after a fast estate then practicality is fairly high on your wishlist and the 4WD Audi offers that, especially if they've sorted out the hard ride.

Not sure how long the Audi's seats would last if their demo car looks like this...
Also, what's up with the Merc's coolant tank?

Attachments

• rs6.jpg
    rs6.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 34
developer215 said:
So far the new 9 speed box appears to be a replacement for the 7g+.

The AMG's don't use the 7g+ as such (with it's torque converter), they use a 7 speed MCT dual clutch unit.

It would be great if there was a new 9 speed MCT box due, for the AMG's.

Ah wasn't aware of that! The new box looks properly beefed up though, good for up to 1000Nm (about 737 lb/ft) so no reason why it couldn't be used in the AMG models, provided it's responsive enough.

Edit: I've just been reading up on the 7G+ vs. the MCT unit and they are essentially the same, only the AMG's don't have a torque converter and use a wet clutch instead. I wonder if we won't see something similar for the next generation gearboxes/AMG's.

Last edited:
Edit: I've just been reading up on the 7G+ vs. the MCT unit and they are essentially the same, only the AMG's don't have a torque converter and use a wet clutch instead. I wonder if we won't see something similar for the next generation gearboxes/AMG's.

You'd like to think that after the ZF 8 speed success, used widely across the direct competition, MB would be working hard to ensure the 9 speed hits the mark - let's hope so.

Agree with the gearbox comments. 7G+ is fine but something that beats the ZF is needed for MB.

I would definitely take the AMG over the RS6. OK, gearbox not as good and not as fast in a drag race but better brakes, better steering and very importantly it has character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom