Chris Harris on Cars: Audi S4 vs Audi RS4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thing is, other than the power gains from tuning, it doesn't say whether the S4 is a less 'compromised' drive (maybe it doesn't matter so much for the price). I have not driven a recent Audi or a 4wd model but I really don't get any enjoyment out of our humble B7 - very utilitarian, unpleasant steering and suspension feel. Has put me off the higher end models slightly.

There's no doubting the 3.0 supercharged engine is awesome though with huge tuning potential, but I agree that generally non-RS cars including S models are seriously flawed.

They always look immaculate but are dead to drive. The first generation S3 was numb and understeered like a dog, the second generation had active steering that was overly light and was also numb. Same goes for other models such as the S4. They usually have awesome engines though.

Still most buyers of an S4 won't really care about the steering feel but I would take a 335i over an S4 which is a shame as I've always found something special in Audi's S cars and especially the first ever RS4 Avant which is one of my favourite cars with its awesome 2.7 Biturbo which also had massive tuning potential.

This has not helped strengthen my will power keeping my car standard, but I have not caved yet. Might not be long though! :D

Last edited:
My s5 made sense if you drove it like a GT a d enjoyed the long gearing and torque. Was fun in that regard, but not at all on twisty roads or roundabouts. The v8 was very heavy at the front, more so than in my 63.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom