Christmas presents...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. B

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
That certainly got your attention...

Well it’s that time of year again when people start thinking about xmas and in particular what presents they are contemplating buying for their loved ones.
I would be interested to know any of the following...
1. What would you like for Christmas ?
2. What don’t you want for Christmas ?
3. What has been the best gift you have received ?
4. What has been the worst gift you have received ?
5. What has been the best gift (according to the recipient) you have bought someone ?
6 . What has been the worst gift (according to the recipient) you have bought someone ?
7. Which one gift over the years stands out the most ?
and just to spice things up a little bit, last but not least....
8. Have you ever bought a secret gift for someone other than your loved one ?

I’d like to participate in the above but unfortunately I dislike Christmas for many reasons. Although I might be the odd one out here because I’m a miserable old fart (and yes I’ve been called much worse ) I would still be interested in the views of the more sociable members of the club :)

PS. In response to Q.6 my answer would be last xmas I purchased a crook lock for the wife, which didn’t go down well.

So this year to make amends I’m going to get her one of these.
CF173ABC-8054-4CB1-B9C2-9D739F50B03B.jpeg
I guess no xmas pudding for me this year :)

In answer to #6. A set of Stainless steel saucepans which burnt the receipients hand when touching any handle. I couldn't understand her lack of enthusiasm for the gift at the time:D

Christmas should be for kids, but kids only. As an adult, it means absolutely nothing to me but spending money that could be better spent elsewhere.
Yep.......Bah humbug;)

That certainly got your attention...

Well it’s that time of year again when people start thinking about xmas and in particular what presents they are contemplating buying for their loved ones.
I would be interested to know any of the following...
1. What would you like for Christmas ?
2. What don’t you want for Christmas ?
3. What has been the best gift you have received ?
4. What has been the worst gift you have received ?
5. What has been the best gift (according to the recipient) you have bought someone ?
6 . What has been the worst gift (according to the recipient) you have bought someone ?
7. Which one gift over the years stands out the most ?
and just to spice things up a little bit, last but not least....
8. Have you ever bought a secret gift for someone other than your loved one ?

I’d like to participate in the above but unfortunately I dislike Christmas for many reasons. Although I might be the odd one out here because I’m a miserable old fart (and yes I’ve been called much worse ) I would still be interested in the views of the more sociable members of the club :)

PS. In response to Q.6 my answer would be last xmas I purchased a crook lock for the wife, which didn’t go down well.

So this year to make amends I’m going to get her one of these.
View attachment 90048
I guess no xmas pudding for me this year :)
ROFLMAO...I bought the Crook Lock many many years ago...same reaction!!

The missus didn't use the pressie I bought her last Christmas.

Anyone want an unused burial plot?
Only if I can get it on PCP ?
I hope you kept your receipt ?

SWMBO and I have heated discussions on this subject. Her family effectively place orders for what they want in advance with the giver* - to me the ideal present is something I like but did not know I wanted. Not easy I admit, but by careful listening and thought it can be achieved.

(*One year her niece asked for a particular item of clothing but in November asked if she could have it then as it would match her outfit for a night out! :rolleyes:)

I think one of the presents she liked the most was when I was out of work and skint - I gave her a handmade book of vouchers for things like a full day of watching rubbish Christmas movies with her, a day of accompanying her shopping without repeatedly asking "are we finished yet" and massages (no, not self interest! Well, maybe a little....)

Another bah humbugger here. I’d very happily do without it altogether. The best Christmas I ever had was in hospital, sharing the generously donated drinks and chocolates with the doctors and nurses. That was closely followed by the two Christmas days that I had to work. It just seems to get worse and worse with every passing year, and lasts much too long.

Presents are a total PITA, whether giving or receiving. It doesn’t seem to matter how much effort you put in to find something that you hope the recipient will love, their “thank you” never comes across as truly heartfelt. But each year we repeat the process. Every year we try to look overjoyed with every useless/pointless/ugly gift we unwrap. Every year we have to suffer getting the ridiculously expensive tree down from the garage eves and erecting it in the living room, then wrestle with the tangled lights and search out the one that’s failed. Then why oh why do we spend so much on buying three times as much food as we need only to be too pi55ed on the day to enjoy any of it?

God, I’m so depressed now. Why did you even have to mention it?

We have not purchased Xmas gifts for adults for as long as I can remember. We all buy what we want when we want it and by the time birthdays and Xmas come round there is nothing that I want. None of this waiting till your birthday or Xmas malarkey.

Grandskids naturally get thoroughly spoiled.

Grandskids naturally get thoroughly spoiled and given the noisiest toys possible, then told said toys not allowed in Nana and Grandad's house.

Edited that for you ;):D

Last year we did 'modified' Secret Santa with my son's in-laws. Gifts were limited to £20-00 and only one gift per person. Each person buys a "generic" gift which goes into a pile. We each drew a number and starting @ 1 chose a wrapped gift - on your turn, you have the option to seal a gift previously opened gift or open a gift from the pile. #1 gets to keep their gift or steal at the r very end and you cannot steal a gift back. Was a lot of fun.

Mrs BCC and myself invariably go great lengths to ensure all family get useful/nice presents within “budget” only to be given a load of tat in return which has been thoughtlessly grabbed from Costco/Garden Center (then bit where they stack all the crap “hilarious” books about being old etc).
Complete waste of time, money and effort. I’d rather spend a bit more on the kids and forgo anything for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom