Christmas presents...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
40 years ago we'd have a massive Xmas lunches (20-30) with everybody we knew and we'd circulate (the hosting) and help each other.

We also love the time but feel it is for the kids. We've moved past the point in our lives where we have to wait for Xmas or a birthday to get what we want. My (only child) son is very successful so, there is nothing we can buy them, so we just spoil the grandkids.

For about the last 30 years we've nearly always had Xmas lunch at a hotel / fine restaurant - I'd rather spend time with my family than have them slaving in the kitchen on Xmas day.
You must be rich to be able to afford Christmas dinner in a hotel / restaurant, in these parts you're looking at £70 - £100 per person which, IMO, is crazily expensive for what is really Sunday lunch with a few extra's.

Ah, yes, Christmas (n): A time of year when you spend money you haven't got buying presents they don't want for people you don't like...

One question; what, exactly, is a 'popped' collar?

You must be rich to be able to afford Christmas dinner in a hotel / restaurant, in these parts you're looking at £70 - £100 per person which, IMO, is crazily expensive for what is really Sunday lunch with a few extra's.

Yep not cheap - but we all arrive, sit down, get served a lovely perfect cooked multi-course lunch - get up and walk away after lunch. No work for us. Unless you are buying really cheap ingredients, I don't think it is that much more expensive when you factor in electricity, wastage and all the rest.

Ah, yes, Christmas (n): A time of year when you spend money you haven't got buying presents they don't want for people you don't like...

One question; what, exactly, is a 'popped' collar?

I enjoy Xmas but have always maintained that presents are for the kids and a good lunch is for the adults.

Turned up collar on a polo shirt, rugby shirt, jacket etc.

Yep not cheap - but we all arrive, sit down, get served a lovely perfect cooked multi-course lunch - get up and walk away after lunch. No work for us. Unless you are buying really cheap ingredients, I don't think it is that much more expensive when you factor in electricity, wastage and all the rest.
We, as a family did this for years throughout the 90’s.

Not so much rich as managing how I spend my money. e.g. I used to smoke (30 years ago) 60+ a day so 3 packs of 20 x 365 x say £10/pack =~£11,000-00/yer. Makes Xmas dinner seem really cheap.

I see people on TV complaining about not having money, but the woman complaining has a giant TV on the wall, half her body covered in tattoos, those awful fake finger nails, fake eyebrows, hair extensions, sunbed tan and lashings of make-up with a fag hanging out of her lips and is probably also a drinker. I would love to know what they spend in a month of their appearance, booze, fags and going out.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so much rich as managing how I spend my money. e.g. I used to smoke (30 years ago) 60+ a day so 3 packs of 20 x 365 x say £10/pack =~£11,000-00/yer. Makes Xmas dinner seem really cheap.

I see people on TV complaining about not having money, but the woman complaining has a giant TV on the wall, half her body covered in tattoos, those awful fake finger nails, fake eyebrows, hair extensions, sunbed tan and lashings of make-up with a fag hanging out of her lips and is probably also a drinker. I would love to know what they spend in a month of their appearance, booze, fags and going out.....
She may not have much money, but she sound well fit init.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom