Christmas quiz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1996 E320 Coupe
June1953.jpg

This is me at the wheel of my father's car in June 1953. :cool:

From the date I know we were on holiday in the Reading/Thames Valley area.

Does anyone know where this is? And, if so, got any pictures of what it looks like today?

I know the answer to the next question, but for an extra mince pie, who knows the precise make and model of this fine piece of British automotive engineering? :D
holly%20leaf.jpg

BTW..................Have you checked what car is now driving round with the registration number of your Dads old car ? ? ?

Quite a co-incidence really............

Check here...............

https://www.mycarcheck.com/

The car looks like a Standard (Flying?) 8 Saloon circa 1948. The twin-tone horns and foglamp are not standard fittings (I think).

Last edited:
I would think the number plate now belongs to that sofa company that plague the TV channels with mind numbing adverts. :rolleyes:

Del,

That's the W. end of Pearson Road in Sonning, looking E. The road going off to the L just in front of the house facing you square on is High Street. sonning - Google Maps

It still looks pretty much the same but with cars parked all along the road. I can't get google Street View to work to send you a link but you will be able to find it yourself.

Thanks for posting that link VeryTallDave,didn't know you could do that. Just discovered a no.plate i'v been after is also on a merc, C220 Cdi classic auto. J2 GNR, anyone know who owns it ?

At least the car's interior should be pretty comfortable.....

:D

Del,

That's the W. end of Pearson Road in Sonning, looking E. The road going off to the L just in front of the house facing you square on is High Street.

Quite amazing. On Google you can see the shadows of the three pitched dormers in the original pic cast across the road. Well spotted that man.:thumb:

nb. There's no Streetview on there Neil. The wee man is greyed out. Needs to be yellow to work.

here's the same scene grabbed from Google Images. Probably taken a few years after Del visited. :devil:

sonning_52040.jpg

here's the same scene grabbed from Google Images. Probably taken a few years after Del visited. :devil:

sonning_52040.jpg
Haar-de-haar :D:D:D

Guys - what can I say? This forum never fails to come up with the goods. Must be the best forum ever! :bannana:
Sonning it is - a puzzle has been solved.

VTD is right in there with the correct make - a Standard. However my Dad was a plutocrat of some note... It is in fact a "12" :cool:

Thanks again - Merry Christmas y'all.

Pearson Road, Sonning January 4, 2010.

Attachments

• Perason Road today.JPG
    Perason Road today.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 44
Always amazes me how places look so much smaller in modern photos...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom