Chrome AMG tailpipes - can they be restored?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dvb247

Car
AMG e55
My tailpipes are looking knackered, can they be restored or is it easier to buy a new set?

dvb, mine are a little worn near the bottom, lack of care by the previous owner and its where all the exhaust moisture drips off eating away at the chrome, i wire woolled the worst near the bottom and polished the rest the best i could.

think abt it, no-one will be getting close enough to see them in detail :) lol

they are such a big part of the rear end and when they look mint it is noticeable!

i guess they are, depends how bad yours have got really, if the chromes got fine lines , you could get them unwelded off, re-chromed and put back on, depends on what you want to pay really!

Tried that smelly stuff in a tin on mine. Wooly fibre roll containing some sort of polish. Duraglit I think. Didn't get rid of some of the caked on stuff at the bottom of the ovals, but made a big difference.

Thought about wire wool but not sure how abrasive it is against chrome?

Mine were covered in black splats of something as well as just being dull.

I bought some metal polish recommended from here, and some spirited cleaning later - they have come up really well.

My tailpipes are looking knackered, can they be restored or is it easier to buy a new set?

Peter(C43AMG) had his tips re-chromed on the CL55 last year. Drop him a message and ask where he got it done. He sent them away and they came back as good as brand new!

Metal polish or wirewool only works if the tips arn't damaged from excess polishing or corrosion.

Last edited:
That's what I need, either that or new ones which would be over kill as they are not that bad!
I'll pm him many thanks:thumb:

Shiney sinks from Tesco or similar, wear gloves rub in and leave for a bit then wipe off.

only around £1 also

Britemax twins.. With some wire-wool worked for me..

They really do work.

I redo them every few months but they always look great.

Try giving them a good rub with crinkled up aluminium foil and Coca Cola before replacing. Amazing what this will do to old chrome.

I used Brasso on mine, made them look like brand new after around 30mins of elbow grease.

If I remember, Rashman used very fine wet and dry on his and they came up like new, I remember seeing them at one of the meets and even a clean freak like me was unbelievably surprised. Then he used a cutting compound, cant remember the exact name of it, but I used 3M cutting compound and that alone was brilliant and bought mine up to looking new again.

Have a word with the Rashman.

If I remember, Rashman used very fine wet and dry on his and they came up like new, I remember seeing them at one of the meets and even a clean freak like me was unbelievably surprised. Then he used a cutting compound, cant remember the exact name of it, but I used 3M cutting compound and that alone was brilliant and bought mine up to looking new again.

crikey i'll have to put a blanket over mine at the next meeting
or i will get slated by the "Clean Team";)

My one needs doing as the PO painted over the rust with what looks like black paint!
Anyone tried this company?:-
THE LONDON & BRIGHTON PLATING COMPANY LTD
100 NORTH STREET, PORTSLADE,
BRIGHTON, EAST SUSSEX, BN41 1DG
TEL: 01273 418122

crikey i'll have to put a blanket over mine at the next meeting
or i will get slated by the "Clean Team";)

Mate you know me, I'll get the cloths and wax out if you dont clean them properly... LOL.

Hope you are well Mika:thumb:

Thanks guys, lots of good advise, will have a go at them tomoz and let you know how I get on, at the moment they have more tar on them than chrome!!

Actually, I remember this is what I did. I used metal polish from here and wet 'n' dry paper - with the polish as the 'wet'.

You could see your face in them afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom