Chrome exhaust tip mod (pre-facelift SLK)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
My first (small) venture into the wonderful world of modding. I recently swapped my nasty rusty exhaust tip with a nice new shiny one. Here are some piccys: :)

before:
before_1.jpg

before_2.jpg

part:
chrome_tail_part_1.jpg

hopefully you can an idea of the improvement from this piccy. probably could've got a better angle...... :rolleyes:
after_1.jpg

.....if only I had exhaust tips that stuck out enough at the right angle to be able to do that !! .... mine point downwards, and I am not taking a saw to them !!

nice one !

Nice

How easy was it to fit? Mine is getting rusty so might need to change it. Do AMG do tips?

Small things like that make such a difference, Looks much better Simon!

Cheers for the comments guys.

Tan: It's very easy to do. You need some WD40, a universal tool (aka hammer) and a short fat end.

After you've undone the nut underneath the existing tip use some WD40 to help loosen it. I needed to apply a little persuation with a hammer to loosen it.

When you attach the new one ensure the holes on the tip and the tail line up for putting the new nut on. Guess who worked that out the hard way? :p I found the new one needed some gentle "persuation" as well to go on fully.

Oh btw: The part's cheap enough. ~£20 from dealer. Could probably get it cheaper elsewhere but I was happy to pay that.

The AMG one is very exbenzive. Check out the AMG brochure. PDF on MBUK website. £145 for the SLK. :crazy: Only difference seems to be the AMG logo stamped on it. Not worth it IMO.

Cheers Simon

I might try and get one tmr so i can fit it in time for the GTG.

Anyone know if they do these for E320? Make me car look more like a E55. Since I can t afford an E55.

Cheers
Ian

Has your car not got the 2 downward pipes at the back Ian? Mine has. Without a bit of exhaust circumcision I don't think that could be done.

Correct me anyone?

No the downturned pipes cant be helped.

The SLK has a standard pipe.

You can get 3rd party adapters for the W203 though.

Has anyone altered the tailpipe on a w124,it points down and i would like it to come straight out the back,i noticed the guy from over there somewhere Thorgil i think his name is has two pipes coming out of the back (estate model that is). may a hacksaw is the only answer and a bent pipe to fit.

Yes it does have the 2 down pipes. I suppose I am buggered then.
Its a shame they didn t put the CLK type exhaust on the e class.

Thanks
Ian

Go down to your local Exhaust Manu and get some (twin ovals like amg) welded onto the existing back box, simple job..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom