Chrome Exhaust Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JRH30

Car
SL55 AMG
Anybody know if the twin chrome exhaust tips on my 54 reg SL55 are removeable?

nope - they are fixed permanently. Why do you want to remove? If it's to get shiny again, there are several schools of thought. I used "0000" grade steel wool - with some soapy water cuts the black right away & being stainless, they don't rust like chrome would

Yes was to clean so will try the steel wool. Thanks!!

Try some Meguiars NXT Metal Polysh (correct spelling!) on an inconspicuous area first.

Used it for less than 5 minutes on my car yesterday and the chrome cover on exhaust came up great.

Will properly clean when weather picks up. It supposedly adds some protection/sealant qualities but I'm going to put some Finish Kare 1000p high temp sealant on once cleaned up properly. Gets good reviews.

Megs less than £10 I think from Halfrauds, FK you should get for around £20 online and based on size of tin it will last forever. Plus you can use it on paintwork.

The Meguiars NXT is great! Also used some Turtle Wax tar remover on the underside of the pipe as that gets really cooked. Not sure on the wire wool TBH.

Some half wit has painted the stainless steel ends on my car!I'm hoping that the steel wool might work?

Some half wit has painted the stainless steel ends on my car!I'm hoping that the steel wool might work?

try a solvent based approach first

I believe late R129 and early R230 tailpipes were painted black when they left the factory.

Underneath though it Is stainless steel ripe for polishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom