Chrome Key for Early W211?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
My '03 211 came with a black three-button key, but does not have a powered tailgate, so only two buttons on the key are functional. When I ordered a spare, MB supplied a two-button key, also all black. I much prefer the Mercedes chrome key, and I now need a replacement for the original key, which was immersed in water for a couple of days and has now stopped working (yes, I dried it out, and replaced the batteries, but to no avail; it's B******d!). The part number for the replacement two-button key is MA906 905 89 00; does anybody know if MB will supply a chrome replacement if I ask nicely?

As far as I’m aware that’s all they stock so it should arrive chrome as a default.

It didn't in June this year; maybe they were using up old stock. I'll ask the local dealer on Monday and see what they say, but somebody on the forum may know.

I’ve replaced a fair few over the last ten years and never received the older key.

Computer says no... Looks like an aftermarket key for me, then.

Deleted

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I had a key from them for a W211 a few years back, in fact, but they don't cover this area any more. I've gone back to the dealer, and they're putting in an enquiry to see if MB will supply a chrome key as a one-off for the car. I'd not have thought it a problem, as the innards of both keys are exactly the same, but we'll see.

I ordered a new key, not long before I decided to sell my old car, exactly for the reason MB would supply a new style chrome key:

50159108183_8cfb7a10a4_o.jpg

Got the key end of June this year, sold at the beginning of October ... :rolleyes:

... if only I could do the same for little smart EQ - the flip-out key feels positively ancient, particularly for a 70-reg car

Last edited:
I was given both a Chrome key and an older black plastic key when I bought my E55 back in 2013.
Admittedly these were three button keys.

The old black one that came with the car is a three-button key, with a two-button PCB inside it. The spare I bought in summer is a two-button; possibly that is why the computer said no to a chrome key. I'll wait to hear if it can be persuaded to change its mind before trying anywhere else.

I concur with above posts, I've just had a new 3 button key for my 2004 SL and it is the chrome version. Cost £280 (including programing) though!

Sorted, I hope. I rang this firm:

They have a special Christmas offer on at the moment: chrome key, £175 all-in, including cutting the emergency metal key. That will do me; the techie will be here tomorrow afternoon. Cheaper than the OE MB two-button black plastic key by about £65, and more importantly, no waiting for it to come from Germany to boot. Win win, I think...

I don't know whether they scan and clone the existing key, or remove the EIS module and take the chip out, scan it, then replace it, and programme the new key to suit. Just so long as it works, I'll be happy.

Turned up on time, did the job, I'm happy. The odd thing is, I the new chrome is a three-button, and it turns out the third button does have a function - it unlocks only the tailgate after being pressed and held for a couple of seconds. Quite possibly the now-deceased black three-button key also did that; I don't know, because I knew I didn't have a power tailgate, and never gave it the long press required.

What puzzles me is, if the car has this feature, why do Mercedes now only list a two-button replacement key for the car?

I too discovered that with a new key - never expected the third button to function at all.
Nowhere in the manual it says the tailgate lock might be opened independently ... the original keys were two-button type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom