Chrome Strips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FordToMerc

Car
2012 C180 1.6 Petrol SE (Executive Pack) 7G-Tronic Plus 4dr
Advice needed please:
I have decided to put non OEM chrome strips around my 2012 C-Class SE exec.
The price of OEM strips are horrendous. So will use the self adhesive type found on eBay with 3m tape.
What I need to know in order to make it look similar to original strips as possible is the width on the sides of the doors and around the rear bumper.
If some one could please advise I will be very grateful.

I have attached an image of a similar colour car with the strips.

Last edited:
Advice needed please:
I have decided to put non OEM chrome strips around my 2012 C-Class SE exec.
The price of OEM strips are horrendous. So will use the self adhesive type found on eBay with 3m tape.
What I need to know in order to make it look similar to original strips as possible is the width on the sides of the doors and around the rear bumper.
If some one could please advise I will be very grateful.

I have attached an image of a similar colour car with the strips.

What happened to the chrome on it before?

Not all of them come with it. And some don't have the chrome strip across the boot either. The sport model doesn't, I don't think.

Mine's dripping in chrome from the factory. :bannana:

In that case, I would get myself down to a breakers yard and get some OEM chrome off on of the many crashed W204s :D

OEM will fit easily, and should be cheap as chips from a breakers!

Hi Mike
Thanks for the response.
I am after the width of the strips. I believe they are about 11mm but not sure. I can order a roll of about 6m but need to know the width.

There is a groove along the rear bumper where it would go.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Mike
Thanks for the response.
I am after the width of the strips. I believe they are about 11mm but not sure. I can order a roll of about 6m but need to know the width.

There is a groove along the rear bumper where it would go.

Thanks

Don't do it. The product is crap and will break down very quickly...then you'll have a job removing it. Ask me how I know.

I've got a digital calliper, I'll take some measurements and apply them to photos tomorrow when I finish work early. :D

Your car, your choice of course but I personally wouldn't bother.

The look you're going for is ultimately an Elegance (chrome, wooden dash, old style grill with upright bonnet star etc)

The Elegance was dropped and the Exec SE stepped up and kinda filled the role. By adding those bits you're almost dating the car IMO.

:eek: OLD STYLE!

I'll have you know it's fitted to every S Class, the "new" style fitted to every A class.

There's a C180 sport at work, black strip across the back on the boot, no chrome anywhere, not even the badge on the wing, and the interior has what looks like grey plastic with sandpaper dragged across it. It looks like a much cheaper car next to mine. Oh, it was... Several grand cheaper.

Don't do it. The product is crap and will break down very quickly...then you'll have a job removing it. Ask me how I know.

I think he's better off getting the bits of another 204 from a breakers but each to their own. :bannana:

:eek: OLD STYLE!

I'll have you know it's fitted to every S Class, the "new" style fitted to every A class.

There's a C180 sport at work, black strip across the back on the boot, no chrome anywhere, not even the badge on the wing, and the interior has what looks like grey plastic with sandpaper dragged across it. It looks like a much cheaper car next to mine. Oh, it was... Several grand cheaper.

Ha, sorry Mike, the word 'old' is incorrect. Maybe previous generation C class or, as you rightly said, S Class grill. I'm a fan of that style 100% but don't think the worlds should collide.

The Exec SE is lovely in its own right, as is the Elegance, but I personally wouldn't try and combine the two.

Ha, sorry Mike, the word 'old' is incorrect. Maybe previous generation C class or, as you rightly said, S Class grill. I'm a fan of that style 100% but don't think the worlds should collide.

The Exec SE is lovely in its own right, as is the Elegance, but I personally wouldn't try and combine the two.

They seem to collide happily everywhere else except the UK.

It's all in jest, ;)

The W205 though in the UK can't come with the elegance grill and star on the bonnet, which is a shame, as you can elsewhere. I personally think that looks gorgeous, it's a softly shaped, classy looking car and really suits that grille. It makes it look like a baby S-Class.

In the UK you can only have the big daft star in the grille and a flat bonnet. :rolleyes:

I love chrome and have used the stick on stuff from Ebay in the past on other cars, but be warned, it looks great to start with but mine didn't last. It lost most of its chrome within about 12 months and turned white.
It very east to pull off and replace but thought if mention it.

I wish mine had come without the chrome bits.

Thanks Mike
I am poised in anticipation.

Steve

I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but if these are roughly what you wanted, I can go and take more. Do you need lengths too?

Notice that the chrome strips sit inside recesses.

Rear door, next to rear wheel arch.

^ front arch, including elegance badge. v width of that strip.

Rear bumper behind rear wheel.

Rear bumper, above zaust tips.

Front bumper, next to fog. These only surround the edges of the bumper, they don't go all the way across the front.

If there's other measurements, I can take those, just lemme know.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike
Those are the ones.
Looks like 11mm would be best.
I'm now considering the comments by other members about how long the product will last.
The car local breakers yard want over £100 for genuine MB ones - without the 3M tape as they will remove them from the wreck, and in what condition I wonder.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom