Chrome style trim on bumpers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrhanky

MB Enthusiast
Car
Superb 3.6 4x4 & W221 S500
Chaps,

I'm having my front bumper resprayed to get rid of some stone chips. My bodyshop have advised they can not respray the chrome effect trim and it needs to be replaced.

I called MB and they supply it but with the molding insert so the cost is expensive.

Has anyone or does anyone know if you can get the trim from anywhere else?

The bit of trim in question is shown below in the picture.

I'm sure kalvin928 here on the forum got some replacement chrome trim for his E55 off ebay. May be worth contacting him.

I actually painted mine as I wanted to de-chrome. It's pretty difficult to remove as it has lots of lug clips on the back. I would suggest that once the bumper is removed make sure you remove the chrome trim from the painted section before it all gets painted. I actually dremeled the lugs slightly to make the insert easier to refit.

Good luck and please post up how you get on.

One other thing, my front bumper was only painted in March this year but now needs re-painting again as its been obliterated with stone chips mainly from my recent Germany trip. Any new paint / lacquer isn't going to be anywhere near as hard as the original MB paint. I now need to get mine painted again but this time I'm going to get the whole bumper wrapped in a clear protective film. Obviously I don't know how bad your stone chips are, but bearing in mind what my bumper has been through in the last 6 months and I now have to get it painted again it may be better to touch it up and get it all professionally polished to help blend in. I've heard good reports on Chipex, but can't vouch for it myself.

Last edited:
I found this self-same problem. My chrome got damaged and Merc say they will only supply with the main insert.

However...if you ask for the insert to come painted the chrome is pre-fitted. If you ask for an unpainted insert the chrome is supplied separately in a bag to be fitted later. But they still won't sell the chrome on it's own.

Weird or what?

I found this self-same problem. My chrome got damaged and Merc say they will only supply with the main insert.

However...if you ask for the insert to come painted the chrome is pre-fitted. If you ask for an unpainted insert the chrome is supplied separately in a bag to be fitted later. But they still won't sell the chrome on it's own.

Weird or what?

Bloody stupid isn't it! I guess the unpainted part could always be sold on ebay but won't recover the true cost.

I actually painted mine as I wanted to de-chrome.

Could you explain the process as the bodyshop said it couldn't be done. However I'm not sure if it was we cant be bothered or it really cant be done.

Im looking at possibly wrapping the chrome trims but not sure how thats going to look.

My bumper doesn't look that bad but the previous owner had scuffed it a little. I'm just really picky with cars and every time I wash, it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

Hi, when mine got scrapped, i tried to source the part but proved expensive from Mercedes as they try to sell the whole moulding and not just chrome, was wary about eBay as gather e55 chrome trims different to other eclass, however i ordered it it for £30 even though it wasn't specified for e55 and its proved to be spot on and fitted perfect, if you still trying to source, let me know and ill try to find the person who i purchased it from

Sent from my Mobile Device using MBClub UK

Hi, when mine got scrapped, i tried to source the part but proved expensive from Mercedes as they try to sell the whole moulding and not just chrome, was wary about eBay as gather e55 chrome trims different to other eclass, however i ordered it it for £30 even though it wasn't specified for e55 and its proved to be spot on and fitted perfect, if you still trying to source, let me know and ill try to find the person who i purchased it from

Sent from my Mobile Device using MBClub UK

Yes please mate that would be very kind.

Thanks for the link, all bar one I needed has been ordered saving over £100 on MB prices. I hope the quality and fit is good, just need the rear drivers side now and I will be sorted.

Could you explain the process as the bodyshop said it couldn't be done. However I'm not sure if it was we cant be bothered or it really cant be done.

Im looking at possibly wrapping the chrome trims but not sure how thats going to look.

My bumper doesn't look that bad but the previous owner had scuffed it a little. I'm just really picky with cars and every time I wash, it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

As your car is black it will be a lot easier to wrap them. Mine is silver so only option for good match was to paint them at same time as painting my bumper etc. It takes thorough preparation to flat down all the chrome before priming and painting. My brother is a car painter so he did the painting for me, but I spent ages rubbing them down!!

Chaps,

I'm having my front bumper resprayed to get rid of some stone chips. My bodyshop have advised they can not respray the chrome effect trim and it needs to be replaced.

I called MB and they supply it but with the molding insert so the cost is expensive.

Has anyone or does anyone know if you can get the trim from anywhere else?

The bit of trim in question is shown below in the picture.

Hi i had the same problem on my car as i was spending a lot of time on tracks i got replacements from a local company near me. who put them carbon fiber. i know they do them chrome also

i just had mine replaced as i spent to much time going round on track days. so got them sorted by a company local to me in the uk

Mate can you confirm it defo fitted your E55 okay as according to the advert it says it does not fit AMG models. It looks identical but I may have read somewhere they are different but could be confused.
MERCEDES E CLASS W211 Chrome Front Bumper Trim 2002-2005 | eBay

yeah was worried about this but can assure you these fitted on my car (2003) I just clipped in and all was fine, don't know why they say they wont fit but seller wont confirm they will fit, I originally just took a chance after looking and measuring standard eclass trims, and physically all the same, at the worse case scenario, if the clips were in different position, I would have just broken them off and used some silicone sealer to bond it, but didn't have to take this route

As your car is black it will be a lot easier to wrap them. Mine is silver so only option for good match was to paint them at same time as painting my bumper etc. It takes thorough preparation to flat down all the chrome before priming and painting. My brother is a car painter so he did the painting for me, but I spent ages rubbing them down!!

when I originally wrapped mine (bad move) I found no problem with adhesion to the chrome, but the defective strip in question had no chrome just the undercoat and found the wrap was not as adhesive on this part...

Are you getting the mesh done too or will you touch that in yourself?

yeah was worried about this but can assure you these fitted on my car (2003) I just clipped in and all was fine, don't know why they say they wont fit but seller wont confirm they will fit, I originally just took a chance after looking and measuring standard eclass trims, and physically all the same, at the worse case scenario, if the clips were in different position, I would have just broken them off and used some silicone sealer to bond it, but didn't have to take this route

Ive taken the plunge and think it will be okay. Asked seller and he said he wasn't sure but I can send back if it does not.

Thanks again for the heads up its been very helpful.

Are you getting the mesh done too or will you touch that in yourself?

Yes all three of the mesh sections are being sprayed but in satin black to keep the original look.

The parts all came today which was great service. In the next few days I will fit them and make sure the fit is good. I will report back if they are a yay or nay.

Today I fitted the parts and the fit is perfect, so yes they do also fit the AMG bumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom