Chrome Tacho Rings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattjpreston

Car
1996 SL 500....Now with shiny pedals
In order to fit chrome tacho rings to my R129 do I have to disconnect the instrument cluster? If so does this affect the trip/odometer etc.?

Does anyone have any advice on this mod?

Also will the chrome gearshift surround from the R170 SLK fit my car (Part no. A170 267 02 88)?

Cheers

You have to remove the cluster and then take it apart - not hard - though be careful you don't crack the glass when doing so. The mileage doesn't reset, though some people have experienced the engine warning light staying on afterwards - I've done this three or four times and never had a problem.

Can you recommend a good place to get tacho rings from, without having to have them set from abroad. Also what about the tools for removal? Are these cheapest from the stealers? If so do you have the part no.?

KLP_92 has fitted some - I think he got them from Mercedes Performance - though they're not very popular around here! eBay always have them - or failing that ECP or KMS.

The dash pulling tools are W140 589 02 33/00 (£6 each from the stealer) - you need two or alternatively make your own out of strong wire / coat hanger. You can also push the dash out from behind if you take the trim off from under the steering wheel but easier to pull it out from the front in my experience.

Mercedes Performance

KMS

Euro Car Parts

Last edited:
Is the cluster on the R129 the same as the W140 S-class?

I thought the W140 and R129 clusters were the same? The tacho rings i use are from ebay, and on the box it says W140/R129.

Ah, well for the rings they may be, but the internals are quite different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom