chrome valve caps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

i have fitted these after purchasing some from ebay. they are just the screw on type but chrome with AMG logo in the centre. However after being on there for about 3 months, they are a nightmare to remove. Had to grip the valve "stalk" with pliers and use a spanner to unscrew them.

i have now sprayed them with WD40 to help aid removal when i want to check tyre pressures etc.

was just wondering how people manage to steal them? my ones didnt come off very easily at all and required a spanner. they are not locking tho so maybe not worth stealing or something?

i think the metal-on-metal just made them stick (or corrode!) on a bit and needed force to get them free. the WD40 should help and i think i will twist them on/off everytime i wash the car to keep them loose-ish

I remember a thread on this in the past. Not sure if its the heat and swelling that causes them to become tight.
I've recently fitted them to mine and as you say, each time I wash my car I just check I can undo them.
If they get robbed I'll just go back to the black plastic ones.

I have had plain chrome ones nicked, fancy MB ones nicked, the full size plastic Mb ones that cover the valve as well...nicked , so these days I use Halfords 99p plastic cheapy ones and so far no ones nicked them!

It aint worth having the chrome ones on your car....
Our 4 months old W211 has a scratch on the near side wing to prove my point :crazy: Handlebar?? :devil: :devil: :devil:

Yup my chrome ones involved to kids on bikes......apparently they trade the things like a currency!!!

I must be doing well as my original MB crome caps are still on the car (he says touching wood).

A smidgen of vaseline on the valve thread helps ;), use a coton bud to apply it to the valve thread, not the inside of the cap, or else you'll block the valve. A small 'o' ring in the cap top is beneficial as well.

If you let them get dirty like mine, no one notices :crazy:

Tyre pressure indicator valve caps ?

I got through a load of Chrome Caps about a year ago. They would last on the car about 2 weeks before being stolen. What worries me is anyone messing with the valves.

When I picked up my last car I went straight to a tyre place and asked for some old black plastic things. No body steals them. I now have about 10 nice chrome ones sitting in a pot for use on very special occasions. They are just not worth the anguish, I have seen that you can now get locking nuts that stop the things being stollen.

You get a little spanner to remove the lock nut so you can remove the nice chrome top.

See the following link for details on these. Also has anyone tried these tyre pressure indicator valve caps?

http://www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/products.asp

Nothing wrong with the Halfords chrome plated caps. £2.99 a packet!

Aletank said:
I've recently fitted them to mine and as you say, each time I wash my car I just check I can undo them.
If they get robbed I'll just go back to the black plastic ones.
:devil: Back to the Black Plastic ones for me - lol, Mine must of got robbed whilst in the shops today :(
Thought about getting the ones which need a "key" but if they don't do damage trying to get them off, they'll prbably scratch/damage my car in a mood or tantrum - lol.
Got 8 weeks from my chrome Mercedes logo ones anyway :(

Goldfish11 said:
See the following link for details on these. Also has anyone tried these tyre pressure indicator valve caps?

http://www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/products.asp

Hi

I use these and they are just the ticket.
But - I only use them on my motorbike (as it is a more critical application).
The link is an expensive source - I picked them up in a bike accessory shop 6 months ago for £4.99 (set of 2).

NormanB

Silversaloon - If you are using metal valve caps, apply a smidgen of copper grease to the threads. This will help prevent the metal-to-metal siezing that you are experiencing - WD40 may just wash off if you are unlucky.

HTH,

Will

It doesn't only afflict MB drivers, my mum's BMW with chrome caps always went missing and that is INCLUDING when it went in for a service at BMW. (People must steal them when the cars are parked on the forecourt).. bending down pretending to do a shoelace or something!

After about 5/6 sets of chrome, she got fed up, and now has standard black plastic.

BMW chrome didn't seize up (I think they 'may' have had a plastic insert for the thread) it was more a dullish 'titanium' stainless steel, rather than shiny chrome actually.

Same happened to me. Mine were on for a good few weeks and I was impressed that no-one had nicked them. Then I tried to get them off to check the pressures.

What a nightmare to remove! Ended up with two pliers to twist each one off - totally wrecked!

I'm back to black plastic too!

Avoid the alloy ones as they stick like sh*t to a blanket. Something to do with metal voltages.

Chrome plated brass should be ok.

Mine only go on for special occasions :)

As above, the brass /nickel / chrome are on the same voltage as the brass valve stem, alli is on the opposite side of the scale,so do not use if you take the car out in the rain

just use the aluminium original MB ones, cheaper than the other aftermarkert ones out there too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom