Chrome wheel arches- how to remove?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hugo lundie

Car
W123 230ce
I have seen a very nice w123 but it has had chrome wheel arches fitted for over 20 years, car has been garaged so no fading on paintwork.

Question , how are these horrible things fitted and how do you remove them?

They are usually screwed onto the arch lips or could simply be clipped into place. I would be really concered about what lies underneath

Why else would anyone fit them.

Even if the arches were perfect, fitting these would trap dirt, moisture and ultimately cuase rust - unless fully waxoyled before and removed regularly to clean & re-treat which I doubt ever happens.

Good luck and do post up some pics of your find.

If they've been on twenty years you might as well just unbolt the whole wing and skip it.

It'll be carnage under the chrome arch

When I removed a set from a 190, half the front wings came away with them !
Thankfully the rear arches were totally rust free.

So do I, on the right colour of car. :thumb:

+1 especially on a 600 & W112 fintails.

I found unspeakable horrors when I removed a set on an otherwise tidy 107 SLC which the previous owner assured me he only fitted to enhance the car.

I will take the gamble, car has done 3000 miles in 12 years and was only driven on dry days, (garaged) there is no evidence of rust around trim edge so it might suggest no issues, but as you say, can't tell until they are removed, will post pics.

My 116 has had chrome wheel arches from new. I recently removed them to check on the condition of the wings, they are secured by 4 self tapping screws, and there was absolutely no rust underneath. They had been on for over 40 years. Inside the wing on the return to which the chrome arch was fitted was completely filled with sealant to give an angle which would easily drain. When I first got the car I was not particularly in favour of the chrome arches but I have since got to really like them. They may look a bit odd to the modern eye but I feel that they really give the car that difference.

They are usually screwed onto the arch lips or could simply be clipped into place. I would be really concered about what lies underneath

Check state of wing lip underneath first! Took mine off and the wing was fooked and trying to fit back by screwing into thin crumbly metal is not fun

With correct pre treatment and masking they can be sprayed the same colour as the wing /body and a quite reasonable result can be obtained with a professionally custom mixed/coloured aerosol can/s
This avoids revealing any potential can of worms that may lurk underneath.

My 116 has had chrome wheel arches from new. I recently removed them to check on the condition of the wings, they are secured by 4 self tapping screws, and there was absolutely no rust underneath. They had been on for over 40 years.

I'm more surprised that you managed to undo self tappers!

I must confess that I still have them on my 126 daily driver, but that came with them fitted not to hide rust, but light scrapes on both rear arches courtesy of the octogenarian previous owner. I had all 4 of them off to check what was lurking underneath. They were held on by screws & clips. I had to drill the screws out as the heads were so rusted.

Apart from the damage, there was at least enough dirt to plant up a hanging basket and thankfully just surface rust on the lips. Now cleaned, treated & packed with "waxoyl". It's not really a keeper, so the chrome arches are staying.

No it wasn't that easy I had to drill them out, but there was absolutely no rust or dirt behind them. The last few years before I got the 116 had not been kind to it although the previous owner had work done but the wings were untouched and there was no corrosion behind the arches although there was behind the bottom chrome rail where the wing fastens to the body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom