Chrome wheel arches on a W208 - Opinions and Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartan535

Car
Mercedes 190e 2.0
Hi Gang,

Well after wanting a 190 for years, I took the plunge and bought a barn find 2002 3.2 Avantgarde W208 in red for a really silly price!! Mechanically and body could best be described as poor - 3 years in a barn hasn't helped the MB rust reputation! However, mechanically it's now sorted so time to sort out the body.

Boot lid and bonnet have had replacements fitted, I can live with the small patch on the NSF wing, but the OSR wing has a hole - mmmm - wonder how bad that rust really is - and of course the finger goes through - so that will need to be fixed!

However, the question is - it came with a set of chrome wheel arches - as it's an Avantgarde - most of the bright work is shadowlined out - so fitting these seems a strange decision - so are they covering something nasty?

So do I

• Just leave them well alone;
  • Take a brave pill and remove them;
  • Plasticoat them black.

Views? And I know the wheels are horrid - another reason why I got it cheap!

Attachments

• merc2a.jpg
    merc2a.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
The wheels are not that bad but those chrome arches are terrible

Big Star grills and chrome arches are a massive NO.

Chrome arches are horrible, but better than seeing the arches covered in rust.

Russ

Thanks for your responses. Short term I think I'm just going to plasticote them black just to try and hide the things. I'll look for solid front replacement wings as one is rusty and the other has suffered some return flange damage so it bound to be a bit grim - and fit them at the same time the OSR rust hole is sorted. Which leaves the OSR arch - which I'm sure will be clean and perfect underneath!!!???

I think if it had chrome round front and back you might get away with the arches. As it is it just looks a bit odd and obviously an aftermarket addition. My 450SE has had chrome arches from new and it is over 40. Was not too keen on them at first but I must admit that they have grown on me and now would not consider the car without them. Did take them off a little while ago and not a spot of rust and that is a long way pre-galvanising. Shows that if properly fitted and sealed, the entire arch return was completely filled, then there is no problem.

i think chrome arches are not so good on a w208 but everything depends on your budget because once you've removed them be prepared to change your wing or cut the rust out and replace the metal because most likely they are hiding rust

I know that they come as standard on some cars, but I see chrome arches and immediately think that they are there to cover rust, so wouldn't ever fit them.

I do think that those wheels are ok tho, but it's your car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom