Chrysler 300C Tourer spotted.....in Leeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearFace

dougal74 mentioned the Chrysler 300C tourer in another thread the other day and low and behold...........I was working in Leeds today on a client shoot and there was one parked right next to the spot I was shooting from.

I have to say that the colour really suited the car and that in the flesh, it's far sexier than it appears in pictures. It's probably no bigger than a 5-series or an E-class, but it has this amazing presence. Anyway I rattled off a couple of quick snaps, so have a gander.

Magnum01.jpg

Magnum02.jpg

They have one of these up the road at our Chrysler dealers. Looks amazing. We had a good luck round the saloon a couple of weeks ago - it's very nice indeed!

we looked at one a few weeks back - for an estate car the rear door opening is far too small and the interior looked very cheap.

Very dark inside as well. for a big car it seemed claustrophobic.

Agreed though it looks great from the outside

Andy

andy_k said:
we looked at one a few weeks back - for an estate car the rear door opening is far too small and the interior looked very cheap.

Very dark inside as well. for a big car it seemed claustrophobic.

Agreed though it looks great from the outside

Andy

Very, very dark inside. I couldn't really see inside this one at all, although the others I've seen had lighter coloured trims and gentler tints to the glass, so it wasn't so bad. The concensus seems to be that the interior is pretty poor in general though, but for some the exterior might just compensate :)

About the rear door opening - the car's tailgate appears to eat backwards into the roofline for about a foot......does this not help in terms of the overall aperture? Just curious.

Last edited:
BearFace said:
About the rear door opening - the car's tailgate appears to eat backwards into the roofline for about a foot......does this not help in terms of the overall aperture? Just curious.

not when you are trying to load stuff like a wardrobe into the back which nearly everyone who buys an estate does at least once in their lives :)

The gap between floor and roof is critical as is the distance between the rear pillars.

Both of those seem to have been compromised here in the interests of "style".

The upholstery seemed ok but the plastic and fake wood was just plain nasty. Gloomy would be a good way of describing the interior

Andy

I like the overboard looks of the 300C but recon that a W210 estate would be a better bet, especially as that's the floorpan it is designed on.

Dieselman said:
I like the overboard looks of the 300C but recon that a W210 estate would be a better bet, especially as that's the floorpan it is designed on.

Yeah, it's kinda weird to think that a lot of these "new" Chryslers are built around previous-generation MBs, although if I was buying the 300c in diesel form (which I'll bet will prove to be the engine of choice for those buyers who aren't footballers...), I'd be more than happy with the old 218bhp MB 2.8 they're apparently using.

It's ironic too that some of the better mainstream cars (in terms of build, handling and overal dynamics) to come out of the US recently have been largely based on cars we Europeans now consider out of date.

Got to agree about the W210. I mean, you'd eventually have to sit inside the 300c, which is clearly not the most pleasurable of experiences :)

Chrysler 300M

The Georgia State Patrol (United States) is going to the 300M instead of the
Ford Crown Victoria Police Intercepter.
WILD THINGS on "Sport Bikes" [Kawasaki(s) capable of 170 M.P.H. off the showroom floor are running away from the Fords.]

Query: Do I really want to be on the roadway with the G.S.P. chasing bikers
at 150 M.P.H. PLUS?

Florida uses light airplanes to track the earthbound evildoers.'Much safer
for you and me.

I sat in one of these last week-end. It was much better than I expected. It did however have a sunroof. Yes, the plastics are a bit brittle but the seats were very comfortable and the leather was of comparable quality to Mercs.

Plus you get the latest MB CDi engine, albeit with a 5 speed auto. Fully loaded, it's under 30k, which is less than an equivalent C Class.

I love the look of this car.

Apparently, there is a 4 month wait for delivery.

Last edited:
The interior is not "cheap" it is designed to absorbe heavy people who don't wear seatbelts during an impact. This is true for most USA vehicles!

C240Sport97 said:
I sat in one of these last week-end. It was much better than I expected. It did however have a sunroof. Yes, the plastics are a bit brittle but the seats were very comfortable and the leather was of comparable quality to Mercs.

Plus you get the latest MB CDi engine, albeit with a 5 speed auto. Fully loaded, it's under 30k, which is less than an equivalent C Class.

I love the look of this car.

Apparently, there is a 4 month wait for delivery.

I agree about the looks - it's got a huge presence. Somebody (Top Gear Mag, I think) said the quality of the leather was such that it could've come from a rhino....... :)

I guess the real proof is in the owning and driving. Press in this country haven't been very polite to Chrysler's cars in recent years.

My Crossfire was actually pretty good.

scotth_uk said:
Press in this country haven't been very polite to Chrysler's cars in recent years.

Having first driven American cars when the UK equiv was a Vauxhall Victor, I became a convert.
When Clarkson drivelled on about the 300C as (I paraphrase) a bland useless, Yank tank, I became interested.

I think I am going to take a test drive in the CDi to see what it is like. In terms of bang for your buck new I don't think it can be beaten. Hmm, ponders what the residuals will be like?:confused:

please post your impressions

dougal74 said:
I think I am going to take a test drive in the CDi to see what it is like.

scotth_uk said:
I guess the real proof is in the owning and driving. Press in this country haven't been very polite to Chrysler's cars in recent years.

I'm sure it was. Like you say, it's ownership or long-term use which allows one to judge fairly. I think there's a vein of anti-American (in terms of their cars, anyway) sentiment running through the press when it comes to cars.

That said, the Crossfire's interior and running gear were almost pure previous-generation SLK, so it probably didn't feel as cheap inside as the 300c appears to. Still, it got a bit of stick on Top Gear, didn't it? I dunno, I quite like the latest range, but I only have eyes for the CLS right now, which...........ahem, ahem..........arrived this morning on a trailer :)

I've not driven it properly yet, just a wee drive to the Co-op for a jar of coffee....but this evening beckons seductively...

Last edited:
dougal74 said:
I think I am going to take a test drive in the CDi to see what it is like. In terms of bang for your buck new I don't think it can be beaten. Hmm, ponders what the residuals will be like?:confused:

Hmmm......S'pose you could buy a demo model or try to source a Euro import from the same people who do cheap(er) MBs and BMs - I'm sure there'll be a few around. Maybe consider avoiding light-coloured interiors as from the pics I've seen, the black finish looks much classier.

The performance figures and the MPGs look pretty good actually, but you probably already knew that...

Last edited:
there is only 1 colour interior (grey seats with black dash -- quite fetching actually) for the Touring .. no choice apart from the wood bits

BearFace said:
Maybe consider avoiding light-coloured interiors as from the pics I've seen, the black finish looks much classier.

Cant help thinking theres a similarity between the new Chrysler and the 1960`s Rover 3 litre Coupe!

294212880b991156c04e11fc533e239ca921e7db5a4cecaba0ef28bc.jpg

18947616a9763e74dee014b6fcf584fafd90a48c357e55bd37f2fbf8.jpg

But they do look really cool, we have a Chrysler garage a few miles away, they have a silver Chrysler on display outside. :)

Allan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom