Chrysler Crossfire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Would the panel like to educate me please?

Just had a drink with a mate who has got a bit of a Christmas bonus and is planning on buying a sports car. A dealer near us has a Chrysler crossfire for sale which looks nice

Now apart from the fact they are built on the slk platform use the MB v6 3.2 and are built in Osnabruck that's about as much as I know

So would the panel like to educate me on this car so I can pass on your collective wisdom

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

If he wants one let him buy one. But IMHO the reason that they are cheap is that they are undesirable. For similar money I'd personally prefer a Porsche Boxster, Nissan 350 or BMW 330. But each to their own :)

wemorgan said:
If he wants one let him buy one. But IMHO the reason that they are cheap is that they are undesirable. For similar money I'd personally prefer a Porsche Boxster, Nissan 350 or BMW 330. But each to their own :)

Undesirable is sometimes not a bad thing though just because they are unloved does not necessarily make them a bad car

Boxster at this level would just be a money pit and a least 7 years older 350z out of price range

Wouldn't be my choice either but each and to their own I was just wanting to learn more about them

...A dealer near us has a Chrysler crossfire for sale which looks nice...

me_1418.jpg

Hi I heard the srt6 version has the slk32 engine in it is worth having a go !:)

They can be bought for around 3.5 to 5k which in my opinion makes them a good buy!
They not that bad looking imho!

Last edited:
I am sorry but I cannot add to the "collected wisdom" so far received on the technical aspects of the car........well when it does become available! :rolleyes:
:D

Suffice to say I have a mate who has hankered after one of these for ever and a day, finally kids have fled so he pulled the trigger......he absolutely loves it.

With that budget the choice is surprisingly good if mileage and age don't scare you.

Honda S2000
VW Corrado
Audi TT
Alfa Romeo GTV
Mercedes CLK
Porsche 944 S2

Hmmm, it appears the dealer likes the car so much he didn't even bother to clean in before posting pictures.......maybe he likes it so much he wants to keep it.

I think there is a Crossfire forum, surely there must be links there to decent enthusiast owned cars worth buying?

Those M112 engines are pretty bullet proof if looked after----- it has 12 rather expensive long life spark plugs to change ------ask to see when they were last changed- might be an indication how well the car has been looked after. The tyres won't be cheap either so check their type and condition. If they are all " on the limit" its perhaps another indication that the car hasn't had money spent?? The notice describes the car as blue?? but looks silver in the piccys??

Lots of engines available for these Crossfires. Why - They are so tail happy the usually end up **** first in a tree or lampost.

Used Chrysler Crossfire Coupé Review (2003 - 2008) - Summary | Parkers

Full review of Used Chrysler Crossfire Coupe What Car?

Chrysler Crossfire 2003 - Car Review | Honest John

What a dull and nebulus vehicle. Look at the independent reviews above. The best is 50% out of 100%. If you want to get value for money where EVERY reviewer swears by the car: buy a Boxster everytime. These cars are unbeatable value for money and NOTHING can rival the older ones pound for pound.

However if you want a car that has this sort of following (see above reviews) then go spend your green drinking vouchers.

... they usually end up **** first in a tree or lampost.

Which, quite frankly, can only improve the general design of the car…

zoros said:
If you want to get value for money where EVERY reviewer swears by the car: buy a Boxster everytime. These cars are unbeatable value for money and NOTHING can rival the older ones pound for pound.

You must be joking my Boxster was a money pit and the drive wasn't that good IMHO they are just an overpriced MR2 which doesn't handle as good the class leader here is the Honda S2000 by a mile just look how the resale values hold up

IMHO Boxster is like Apple overhyped marketing promoting an average product

Last edited:
wemorgan said:
With that budget the choice is surprisingly good if mileage and age don't scare you. Honda S2000 VW Corrado Audi TT Alfa Romeo GTV Mercedes CLK Porsche 944 S2

Mileage and age are an issue to him unfortunately but the TT is a good shout

Thanks

I read a while back that there were supply problems with bodywork parts for the Crossfire. I didn't run for long (3 years?) and Chrysler didn't lay down masses of spares. Replacement bumpers became unavailable a couple of years after production ended, so nerf one and it'll get written off.

Of course, my memory isn't what it once was so I may be incorrect - but worth checking out as it's going to have an effect on insurance premiums, if nothing else..

Cheers,

Gaz

Now you mention it I seem to remember something about shortage of bumpers and body panels will do a bit of digging thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom