Chrysler Voyager

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
OK so No 1 son has given us the good news we are going to be grandparents again. That will give him 3 under 9.

He will be looking for a bigger motor than his now Focus Estate:ban:

For ease of access and general all round capicity he is thinking of a diesel Voyager:ban::ban:

The Vito in his price bracket, say less than 5k, would not be up to much. The 210/124 with seven seats would not leave much room for shopping/luggage.

Anyone had a Voyager please and comments there on all welcomed.

I've had a Dodge Caravan (same thing with a different badge) as a rental car in the US and it was fairly unpleasant. I don't think anyone buys for the enjoyment factor, however.

I also think the Voyager has a poor NCAP crash rating IIRC.. not exactly what you want if you're transporting kiddies.

Not much help, I'm afraid, but I'd avoid if possible.. what about a Previa? A colleague with a large brood has one and he tells me although it's a bit van-like to drive it's a fine family vehicle.

Cheers,

Gaz

Hello

No idea running one but for space and ease of getting everyone in the slidding door make it very easy.

We did look at a 3.2 V6 one few years back for a friend (would have put LPG in it) was a Ltd model with lots of extras.

The same friend (with 4 kids) went for a Grand Scenic in the end. I like the Mazda 5 also? sliding doors etc.

As you say very few have any room behind the 6th / 7th seat though.

Other than being French Espace is better in virtualy every way.

Had a Voyager on hire in France in 2007. Was a 2.8 diesel I think. Drank fuel, managed to be slow and handled corners like a barge. Very comfy though.

What did sell it to me was the high up position for the kids.

Espace proved to be a good car, certainly never let us down, other than a faulty radio. Dealers were a bit ****, but as long as you go in with your eyes open...

2.0 diesel is bettter than the 1.9....

As mentioned the Voyager has had dire NCAP ratings, this was the first version:
The Voyager did so badly in the frontal impact that it earned no points, making it the worst of the group by some margin. The body structure became unstable and the steering column was driven back into the driver's chest and head.

And a later model tested in 2007:
Front impact
The Voyager scored enough points overall to be awarded a three-star adult occupant rating. However, its performance in the frontal impact did not meet the minimum level for that rating and the car was awarded two stars. The driver's chest struck the steering wheel and distorted its rim and the chest compression measured by the dummy indicated an unacceptably high risk of serious or fatal injury. As a result, the final star in the adult occupant rating is struck-through. Several structures in the dashboard presented a potential hazard to the driver's knees; the dummy recorded high femur compressions and the protection offered to this body region was rated as poor. The passenger compartment became unstable during the test. The footwell of the vehicle ruptured during the impact and rearward movement of the accelerator pedal was 288mm. This, combined with dummy readings which indicated a high risk of injury to the tibia, resulted in a 'poor' rating for protection of the lower legs, feet and ankles.

Pedestrian
The Voyager scored no points and was awarded no stars for the protection it offers to pedestrians.

How many seats does he actually need? If only 5 then a large estate is surely an option.

Going for MPVs the Previa is good, Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra is plentiful although not sliding doors (which are handy).

Going bigger, yes the 639 Vito/Viano will be too expensive. However a VW Caravelle would be possible and worth a look.

Given BTB's post above that firmly lets the Voyager out. Thanks very much Bill.

They have a Scenic which is due to be chopped in soon. For no other reason that is is old(ish) so the electrics will start giving grief soon.

What do the really need space wise? Five good big seats and room for all the modern day stuff that seems to be absolutely essential for a modern day family. Slidy rear doors defo a boon. He laughed when I said Fiat Multipla (OK no slidy doors) but dead cheap.

Look at what the hire companies use for Airport transfers.

Ability for driver +4 and luggage.

If necessary, speak with some drivers and get their views on what the drive quality was like.

I think S Max is one of the most accomplished MPV's available today and would be my choice.

Very stylish, very well equipped, diesel economy.

Friends of mine (where money is no problem) bought a brand new Chrysler Voyager several years ago.
Drove it out the dealers.....
Hated from about the 2nd day........
Took it to a BMW dealer to chop it in for new M5 and lost over £10,000 in less than 2 weeks.

When I asked his what he disliked about, his reply was EVERYTHING. It was nothing more than a very poor yank tank with a thirst for fuel second to none.
He was just glad to get rid.
I did ask him whether he had a road test before he handed over the money and apparently he did - but not a very long one. A matter of minutes.
And he only kept the M5 for less than a year before buying a new model M5.
As I said - an excess of money............

Given BTB's post above that firmly lets the Voyager out. Thanks very much Bill.

They have a Scenic which is due to be chopped in soon. For no other reason that is is old(ish) so the electrics will start giving grief soon.

What do the really need space wise? Five good big seats and room for all the modern day stuff that seems to be absolutely essential for a modern day family. Slidy rear doors defo a boon. He laughed when I said Fiat Multipla (OK no slidy doors) but dead cheap.

Depends on age of the kids. A baby seat and child booster in some cars, will leave little room for a third on the middle.

We struggled last year with two teenagers, and a five year old. Had to use a 'bubble-but' inflatable booster cushion to fit her in a W211.

We all managed to get by years ago, but the protective seats were much smaller or non-existant.

I think S Max is one of the most accomplished MPV's available today and would be my choice.

Very stylish, very well equipped, diesel economy.

The S-Max is a great car, but you will struggle to get one for under £5k.

Look at what the hire companies use for Airport transfers.

Ability for driver +4 and luggage.

They are nearly all van-based minibuses. As mentioned you might get a VW Caravelle (or minibus equivalent) within the budget. They're pretty well regarded.

Voyagers are horrible things, we used to have all sorts of problems with them, would never hook up to the daignostic machine,and most of them I saw had an array of warning lights on, on the dash. Back brakes were a joke, every one,for every MOT needed expensive work there and parts were a nightmare and very expensive. Apart from that.. the electric doors are cool :) ....when they work. :(

I have a gread admiration for the old 806/Synergie/Ulysse. Yes its a van, but simple,roomy and honest. Quite nice to drive, refined and comfortable. £2000 would get a real cracker. Of course, the Fiat version is by far the best :D

Did you know if the clutch cylinder goes on an Espace, the dash has to come out? Guess how I know? over 400 quid too!:eek:

So you are looking at baby seat, booster seat + third child...

They are going to need something pretty wide. And cramped kids in the back is bad news for peace and harmony on journeys...

I'd say your son has the right intentions, but the wrong car.

I think Tiff may have a good priced practical option.

I have a gread admiration for the old 806/Synergie/Ulysse. Yes its a van, but simple,roomy and honest. Quite nice to drive, refined and comfortable. £2000 would get a real cracker. Of course, the Fiat version is by far the best
biggrin.gif

I think Tiff may have a good priced practical option.

I have a gread admiration for the old 806/Synergie/Ulysse. Yes its a van, but simple,roomy and honest. Quite nice to drive, refined and comfortable. £2000 would get a real cracker. Of course, the Fiat version is by far the best
biggrin.gif

I acutally bought one a year ago, as a project for the lads at work. A 2 litre petrol Fiat, which we tidied up and serviced. We still have it and it gets used every day for ferrying about the football team, the beauty salon girls, and has been used for me to move house and haul various motorbikes around. Take the seats out and you can get a king size bed in, or a double wardrobe. No one has managed to break it yet, even very surly teenagers. It's just passed another MOT with a total cost of £37..

Best of all, it cost £340 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom