Chunks coming out of GLC tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ssldn

I'm having an issue with the tyres on my GLC, and I'm hoping someone can help diagnose the cause.

I've had the car for a month / 500 miles, and it's a 2018 GLC AMG 250 (Petrol) Premium Plus. The tyres did not have these markings when I bought the car, but I was told that the tyres were probably changed at the prep centre before arriving at the Dartford showroom.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I have sent an email to Mercedes, but just hoping to get as much info as possible to help my cause.

1B1D0D08-0F82-4519-AE3C-BEAA03F11FB7_1_105_c.jpeg

Just to add - I did drive a GLC, which very clearly suffered from the scrubbing/crabbing issue. The one I bought has never felt like it has this issue, slow turning / full lock are smooth. It has also (I saw an invoice) had the fix applied, which apparently involves some kind of nut being added to resolve the crabbing issue.

What tyres are they and do other three look the same?

What tyres are they and do other three look the same?
The marks are only on the two front tyres, with the RHS being worse.

The tyres are:

Goodyear Eagle Sport MOExtended 255/45/R20 105V, made in 5017/5117.

I've contacted Mercedes, they have forwarded the info and photos to their tyre guy for this comments.

OP , these are not 'marks' on your tyres , these are serious gouges out of the tread. I doubt if they would pass an MOT or an inspection by the police in the event of an accident.

Are they by any chance 'winter' tyres that are not enjoying the hot road surfaces . Was the fitting of 'softer' tyre not one of the crabbing 'fixes' MB turned to ? 🤷‍♂️

I'm having an issue with the tyres on my GLC, and I'm hoping someone can help diagnose the cause.

I've had the car for a month / 500 miles, and it's a 2018 GLC AMG 250 (Petrol) Premium Plus. The tyres did not have these markings when I bought the car, but I was told that the tyres were probably changed at the prep centre before arriving at the Dartford showroom.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I have sent an email to Mercedes, but just hoping to get as much info as possible to help my cause.

View attachment 115983
Hi , so by what you are saying the prep centre may changed the tyres on your car leaving you with a potentially dangerous tyre.

Hi , so by what you are saying the prep centre may changed the tyres on your car leaving you with a potentially dangerous tyre.

Possibly.

The tyres had clearly been used, but not as used as I would expect 3 year / 20k miles tyres to be - although the production date of the tyres 5017/5117 is in keeping with the car's registration date of March 2018.

I'm genuinely a careful driver, have absolutley not been driving like a manic, yet the tyres looked like they've been shot at after just 500 miles of me having the car!

OP , these are not 'marks' on your tyres , these are serious gouges out of the tread. I doubt if they would pass an MOT or an inspection by the police in the event of an accident.

Are they by any chance 'winter' tyres that are not enjoying the hot road surfaces . Was the fitting of 'softer' tyre not one of the crabbing 'fixes' MB turned to ? 🤷‍♂️

They are All Season tyres, so I would think they are OK?

1. CHUNKING

Chunking is the term used to describe missing sections of tread from a tire. It almost looks as though the tread has been sliced or torn off in chunks from seemingly random areas.

Tire damage like this typically occurs for one of two reasons. The first is related to suspension problems, such as a bad shock absorber making it impossible for the tire to maintain constant contact with the road. As it bounces up and down on the pavement, the force of the impact can cause tread chunking. A second common cause of chunking is related to heat — specifically, not warming up a tire before subjecting it to severe stress on an autocross or road course.

Chunked tires are not immediately dangerous, but their lifespan has been significantly shortened. The more tread that’s missing, the less grip they’ll have on the asphalt, which in turn can lead to unpredictable behavior under braking, in inclement weather or when cornering.

Having looked on some other forums, and some of them referencing the article above it seems that heat (as mentioned) and suspension issues are two potential causes. I'll make sure I have the suspension checked too.

I have the same issue with my GLC

when I got the car it has brand new tyres on it I’ve since done about 15000 miles and I have big chucks of rubber missing on outta edges of front tyres. I have seen this on a lot of GLCs just parked in car parks.

when I mentioned this to Mercedes when the car went in for a service I was told that this is basically a problem across the board with this model of car… it was either resolve the tyre issue and have a really uncomfortable ride so assuming something to do with suspension or make sure comfort was the priority and sacrifice the tyres! I don’t know if I’m being fobbed off but seems pretty annoying as it’s looking like I need 2 new tyres due to the chunks missing on edges but also have plenty of tread still left on the tyres and no where near the wear bars.

This if my 2nd GLC as the first one I had kept breaking down and ended up being swapped to my current one. I didn’t have it long enough to notice wear on the tyres. The first one had the crabbing and juddering issues when turning and on full lock. My current one doesn’t have this problem though.

I have the same issue with my GLC

when I got the car it has brand new tyres on it I’ve since done about 15000 miles and I have big chucks of rubber missing on outta edges of front tyres. I have seen this on a lot of GLCs just parked in car parks.

when I mentioned this to Mercedes when the car went in for a service I was told that this is basically a problem across the board with this model of car… it was either resolve the tyre issue and have a really uncomfortable ride so assuming something to do with suspension or make sure comfort was the priority and sacrifice the tyres! I don’t know if I’m being fobbed off but seems pretty annoying as it’s looking like I need 2 new tyres due to the chunks missing but having said that also have plenty of tread and no where near the

This if my 2nd GLC as the first one I had kept breaking down and ended up being swapped to my current one. I didn’t have it long enough to notice wear on the tyres. The first one had the crabbing and juddering issues when turning and on full lock. My current one doesn’t have this problem though.

Hi , silly question but can you turn of the 4x4 system on your car.

I can on my Mitsubishi Shogun ?

If I don't when reversing I can feel the system lock up.

HAve you checked the date stamp on the tyres. They do look pretty old.

Rory , I agree , but my question is to our new members who now have GLC's is . Did you do any research into this cars inherent 'crabbing' issues before purchase ...?

Steering and suspension geometry check required immediately new tyres are fitted- the front suspension may be damaged.

I have seen this issue on race cars where the tyres de-laminate, the main cause is heat and nothing to do with suspension set up, although I am not dismissing professional opinion. We changed to Dunlop’s, same general compound, same day, weather conditions and track and no issues.
I also had the same problem with a pair of Avon’s on a motorcycle, they were replaced by the manufacturer free of charge, same tyre and compound, never happened again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom