Churchill Insurance Renewal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
Mrs E is very lazy when it comes to renewing insurance as has ended up with Churchill for the past 3 years through never doing anything...

After a hike last year I was determined not to let it past, so when the renewal came in it had gone up about 15%. No claims, points, etc, in the past year.

A quick whizz through the comparison sites came up with one quote at less than half the Churchill quote, but an absolute like-for-like comparison gave a saving of about 40%. Getting a quote as a new customer came out to less than last year's quote.

So she gets on the phone to Churchill to see if they could do anything - absolutely nothing, that's our renewal price, feel free to go elsewhere. I was quite amazed that they would do nothing at all on the price.

Bye, bye, Churchill.

I change every year there seems to be NO Loyality in keeping to the same insurance.

Half an hour on the internet insuring both cars can save hundreds.

I change every year there seems to be NO Loyality in keeping to the same insurance.

Half an hour on the internet insuring both cars can save hundreds.

I vouch for that! My renewal is due end of Nov. Havn't even got the renewal letter yet and already ive bagged the best quote for me so far.

Jotted down the quote number, and when it comes to renewal time Elephant.co.uk i'm going to slap em' in the face with a quote by Admiral who is owned by the same company!

They did this last year to me too! i'm not kidding i got 300 odd quid saved.

Him: 'Sorry sir cannot beat the written quote we have given you, its the best we can offer'

Me: 'Ok well i've got a cheaper quote else where'.

Him: 'With whom sir?'

Me: 'From Mr. Admiral'

Him: 'ahh, Can i please have the reference number, i will just check on the system we maybe able to do somthing for you'

Me: 'Certainly'

Him: 'ok sir we will be able to match that Sir'

Me: 'Cheers!'

Him: 'policy docs are on the way to you'

:devil:

Added the missus on too this time round. (no she wont be driving it) but just incase i have one too many Carlsberg's it may be a good idea.

Quote was even cheaper than the last?!

They just did the same on my house imsurance, not a penny! I moved on principle.

I was quite amazed that they would do nothing at all on the price.

Bye, bye, Churchill.
Similar experience earlier this year with Direct Line. In previous years they'd offered a lower price when asked, yet this year nothing. They wouldn't even match their own online "new customer" price. I walked. They lost.

Funny thing is, about two months later they sent me a survey request by email, with the questions centred on why I'd not renewed with them :rolleyes:

More Than wouldn't shift on our HI but they were the cheapest.

I have a renewal for DL so will see what that yields vs. the competition next month.

If they can 'just drop' £300 to match a price, you have to wonder how much fraud is really pushing up their prices, or are they just greedy feckers.

Last year when my Churchill renewal came through the price hike was more than 40 per cent!. Obviously it was off to pastures new, and cheaper. I saw one gent from insurance the other day trying to justify a 39 per cent increase in car premiums. I, through a friend found Liverpool Victoria, and am very happy with their price and SERVICE

I found that adding my wife to the policy cuts the price by about 10%. Well worth doing even though she will never drive my SLK

Our daughters Mini One was insured with Churchill until this year. The renewal was very reasonable but when I rang to pay (you cant do it on line) they would not discuss it with me as not policyholder but only a named driver. Explained that my daughter was working in South America until the new year at which point they refused to cover her at all! So they lost another customer largely through being totally inflexible.

So she gets on the phone to Churchill to see if they could do anything - absolutely nothing, that's our renewal price, feel free to go elsewhere. I was quite amazed that they would do nothing at all on the price.

I queried this on another forum and someone in the industry said that what's going on when this happens is they've changed underwriters for the policy, or, if it's their own policy, they've significantly changed the scope of the policy.

So you can take out a new policy at a lower price, but it won't be quite the same as the old policy.

This has happened to me with both car and house insurance with LV=. I had their "old" car insurance, which was unlimited mileage, included european cover, courtesy car, didn't load for speeding points etc etc. The new one was way cheaper, but I had to declare the mileage and the other bits and pieces were optional at extra cost.

On the house insurance, a significant difference (and one which I wish I'd been aware of beforehand) was the new policy required all accessible windows to be locked closed when out of the house.

I too have had the same experience as BillyW124 with Admiral and another of their sister companies, Bell. Give 'em the quite reference, they'll look it up and match it.

Last edited:
Our daughters Mini One was insured with Churchill until this year. The renewal was very reasonable but when I rang to pay (you cant do it on line) they would not discuss it with me as not policyholder but only a named driver. Explained that my daughter was working in South America until the new year at which point they refused to cover her at all! So they lost another customer largely through being totally inflexible.

Did you tell them she didn't have the car with her ?? :D

I queried this on another forum and someone in the industry said that what's going on when this happens is they've changed underwriters for the policy, or, if it's their own policy, they've significantly changed the scope of the policy.

So you can take out a new policy at a lower price, but it won't be quite the same as the old policy.

This has happened to me with both car and house insurance with LV=. I had their "old" car insurance, which was unlimited mileage, included european cover, courtesy car, didn't load for speeding points etc etc. The new one was way cheaper, but I had to declare the mileage and the other bits and pieces were optional at extra cost.

On the house insurance, a significant difference (and one which I wish I'd been aware of beforehand) was the new policy required all accessible windows to be locked closed when out of the house.

I too have had the same experience as BillyW124 with Admiral and another of their sister companies, Bell. Give 'em the quite reference, they'll look it up and match it.

You have made some very good points ... too many people focus only on the price - and not the value..

Did you tell them she didn't have the car with her ?? :D
Yes. Oddly enough they would have been able to collect a premium for a car that was not being used - just sat in a garage. Money for nothing as far as they would be concerned.

Fools sent me a survey this week asking why I didn't renew, thought that would be obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom