cigarette lighter too short...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Hello,
is there anything we can do with the cigarette lighter? I have a voltage thingy that I need to plug into the lighter but it doesn't stay on as the lengh of it is too short :crazy:.
I'm sure it's the same for any phone charger, tom tom or similar?
Is there an adaptor that we could get?
Thank you.
Olivier

i've seen small plastic pipe things that go over the plug - sometimes come with the units. i usually just throw them away as i dont really ahve a problem with them. not sure if you can buy them seperatly

the pic below shows what i am talking about:

e2fd_12.JPG

the plastic "sleeve" with the lip slides off. maybe buy one of these cheap and then swap to your device?

or buy an extension cable to plug into?

Last edited:
the problem remain the same as in your extension the body/cylinder that fit into the cigarette lighter is too long. No? Mine is half the normal size???

the problem remain the same as in your extension the body/cylinder that fit into the cigarette lighter is too long. No? Mine is half the normal size???

oh, i thought by it not staying on you meant it fell out of the socket, not that its too short to actually switch the item on (power)

you could always just cut the wire and connect and longer plug?

or maybe remove the cig lighter and fit a different one - no idea why yours isnt working, my W124 one is fine, so is the W210 one i retrofitted in the boot....

Humm, I might need to fit another one then, as mine is yes to short to hold anything but there is little room to fit a longer one as well. Odd design I guess.

Fit a tight fitting compression spring to the end "nipple" to make up the distance you are short.

Dec

Fit a tight fitting compression spring to the end "nipple" to make up the distance you are short.

Dec

I don't really get it? The tube is too small.
The problem is that the voltage converter does not lock in as there is not enought lengh?
If I put a spring at the end it will push it out even further?
I'll try to get a picture soon to show the small lengh of the tubing. Teeny...

Sorry as I didn't took the time to get any pictures, but all I want is plug a device ( with a normal size lighter plug like show in the picture from Silversaloon) into the cigarette lighter. Why are they so small on mercedes? I cannot put a spare one in the glove box as a cable to collect the 220 volt device will have to come out therefore open the glove box all the time...
Any hints?
Cheers.
Olivier

Why not fit an extra socket in the small pocket in the centre consul , the one behind the gear selector . Take out the insert tray , cut it level and put it back in upside down and this will give you some where to fit the extra socket . We do this on the 211 to mount the extra switch for working an electric divison in a limousine

Oliver, This is what I was meaning in post #6 but not quite sure if this is a solution to the problem, the spring would be light weight and of little resistance rather like the spring in a click type ball point pen except it would be of a suitable size and length.
The two outer springs, green arrows, usually hold the plug firmly in the socket and would withstand the small force of the blue spring.

Dec

url]

Just a further thought, is there any possibility that you aren’t pushing the plug into the cigar socket with sufficient force to overcome the spring resistance of the 2 nuteral terminals, the can be quite strong on some cigar lighter type plugs.

Its very unusual for the manufacturer of a plug not to design it to fit all cigar lighters that are nearly all made to the same dimensions.

Dec

Just open it an hour ago.The spring is really strong inside though, Doesn't really move bak easily. I need to shortening it or find a softer one. It's a cheap voltage converter that I got in woolworth, that might explain? It's working though "if it stays in", handy to recharge laptop/ phone etc... if you don't have the cigarette lighter charger.
Thanks.
Olivier

Got it. I squash the spring and open wide the two side tabs, the device is working now.
Thank you.
All the best.
Olivier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom