Circle them wagons: PH Blog ( c63 m156 new c63s m177 )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do you post these things Don? makes me question myself did I make the right choice getting the Biturbo over the 6.2.

c_200k said:
Why do you post these things Don? makes me question myself did I make the right choice getting the Biturbo over the 6.2.

Lol, you owned an m156 e63 and now have the bi turbo yes?

Which do you prefer?

Tester prefers m156 over new m177 engine
Not being picky, but that's not what I read in the blog.

What I read was that "I miss the undiluted aggression of the old one, aesthetically as well as on the road. Its steering was burly, the passively damped chassis unapologetic but brilliantly judged and the diff super assertive in lock-up and willingness to dictate the angle of attack.", which is all about the steering, suspension, and axle and nothing about the engine :dk:

5.5 bi turbo is such a great engine, as I remember driving it in MB Brooklands doing half day driving experience with E63 and SL63. But, I must admit the 6.2L sounds richer even though it may have a bit of a turbo lag, which I don't mind.

I think both 5.5 and 6.2L are still proper AMG engines IMO. Both engines sound fantastic.

But the new 4 litre AMG m177, I am sceptical - it may be extremely fast with the turbos but I don't think it can sound like the V8 sounds of the 2 former engines, and so I also do prefer the proper c63 507 engine if I am honest. The 2 videos say it all in my view.

This debate just won't go away will it :)

In truth given the prevailing rules, regulations and general interference from on high in Brussels AMG seem to be doing a pretty good with their engines.

For its time the 6.2 was great

For its time the 5.5 was great

All the portents seem to be that the 4.0 is also a going to a great engine in a similar vein.

Which is "better" is, and always will be, subjective what's for sure is that AMG keep building very very good engines for very very exciting cars.

Lol, you owned an m156 e63 and now have the bi turbo yes?

Which do you prefer?

It's a hard one to call

IF I had the opportunity to drive both W212 Pre facelifts in the 6.2na and 5.5 Biturbo, Only then would I be able to say which in my opinion is better.

The W211 was totally different than the W212 so in terms of better driving car it's the Biturbo but would I be saying the same if I went from W212 6.2 to 5.5 Biturbo? :dk:

I love the torque and the way the car handles etc BUT one thing I'm struggling with is the amount of torque. There's just soo much that it breaks traction all the time, It's go P zeros on at the moment and the wether is pish but I'll wait and see what the summer is like.

Otherwise I love it BUT I still always think in the back of my head what would the W212 E63 6.2 na be like to live with on a daily basis.

Whats John's(developer) opinion? seeing he went from W212 6.2 to face lift Biturbo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom