Cisco and SIP phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
Anyone got a Cisco SIP phone?

nothing, I got one it rocks!

We were thinking to order a landline but had no need as our BB is through cable and we both have mobiles.

In the end I purchased a Cisco VoIP phone. I have a 0207 free of charge and all landline uk calls are free to call via 1899.

We can also have additional 0845, 0800, 0161, 0207 numbers for free on the same handset.

Its def the thing to have.

so easy to use even a child can operate one!

]

Attachments

• aah400.jpg
    aah400.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Koolvin said:
nothing, I got one it rocks!

We were thinking to order a landline but had no need as our BB is through cable and we both have mobiles.

In the end I purchased a Cisco VoIP phone. I have a 0207 free of charge and all landline uk calls are free to call via 1899.

We can also have additional 0845, 0800, 0161, 0207 numbers for free on the same handset.

Its def the thing to have.

so easy to use even a child can operate one!

]
Cool stuff (well of course).

How much did you pay for it? Which one did you buy? Who is your VOIP service provider? How do you pay nothing for uk calls? Tell us more, I want one!

-simon

SimonsMerc said:
Cool stuff (well of course).

How much did you pay for it? Which one did you buy? Who is your VOIP service provider? How do you pay nothing for uk calls? Tell us more, I want one!

-simon

Hiya I brought the Cisco 7960G IP Phone..

You can have 6 lines configured. For outgoing I use 1899.com and incoming sipgate.co.uk

There are lots of different types of hardware available - Cisco 7960G is far better than any available IMHO.

7960.jpg

Last edited:
Cool bit of kit !

What speed Broadband do you have it connected to, is it enough ?
Can you surf at the same time ?

Found out the other week that all the phones in my office are TCP/IP.
Superb quality and reckoned to save us a fortune.

Many of your friends / family on VoIP yet ?

Cheers Koolvin I want a Cisco 7960 now! That looks great.

I've been looking into VOIP over the last couple of weeks to see if it's worth implementing in our firm. Now thinking the best way is to try it :)

At 'normal' prices I can't see the benefit right now for our company but it really depends upon the type of call you make and the volume. The bandwidth consideration is extremely important as voice is more sensitive to being broken up than data.

My only experience of VOIP so far is Skype plus some least cost routing providers. Heared some VOIP demos demonstrating the different codecs etc at a seminar, but am looking at this now in more detail over the next few weeks.

AJTHOMAS said:
Cool bit of kit !

What speed Broadband do you have it connected to, is it enough ?
Can you surf at the same time ?

Found out the other week that all the phones in my office are TCP/IP.
Superb quality and reckoned to save us a fortune.

Many of your friends / family on VoIP yet ?

I have a 1m broadband at the moment through a cable service provider. I have tried the phone on 512K and its fine. You can surf at the same time no problem. about a 10-15kpbs signalling overhead for the SIP and RTCP signalling, plus whatever kbps the audio is - G.711u and G.711a use 64kbps - G.729a uses 8kbps. so using G.729a you can shove quite a lot of calls down one line. not all user agents support that codec though, but decent stuff like the Cisco phones does.

There is no need for family or friends to be on VoIP you can still call and be contacted through a gateway.

If anyone want's to hear the quality I can give you my number so you could give me a call one evening.

We are using Skype at home, use to mobile phones bluetooth headsets and it's so easy we are going to get the parents using it too.....Wish us luck!!!!

Kate

You've got me hooked :D

My problem is that we have multiple phones in the house, some wireless, (all on the same line). So a cisco phone wouldn't be ideal. That said, I saw this on eBay:

eBay
Anyone tried these?
sipgate router
(My idea is to receive calls over the landline, and make calls using VOIP; that way we wouldn't even need to change number.

Some other questions;
sipgate's fees aren't cheap... neither are 1899.com's towards the following:
Gambia(landline/mobile) (1899 doesn't even have a price???)
UK Mobiles(weekdays)
Italy (mobile)

Does anyone know of any other VOIP providers? Right now, I'm tending towards skype for their no-hassle, no-fuss approach to the 1.7p a minute to anywhere in europe.

EDIT: Found this site:
http://www.voip.org.uk/reviews/category/voip-service-providers/
I'm gonna go though their VOIP providers and check their prices :)

Grumble.... Just realised that skyPe's "no frills" policy has frills... Its 1.2p per minute to europe, yes, but not to mobiles; with mobile costs between 15 and 20p per minute.... Not good...

Last edited:
why not buy Cisco ATA186 ? It supports 2 lines.

you should be able to plug a analogue DECT phone in and have multiple handsets running on one base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom