CISSP / CEH Training Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I may be able to get a CISSP training approved in the coming days... that said, I'm also interested in the CEH courses...

Has anyone done one of the combined CISSP/CEH courses? What did you think of it?

Is it worth it, or should I just do the CISSP course and self-study the CEH at some later date?

M/

One of my developers is doing the 7-day (ISC)2 CISSP boot camp certification and exam with Firebrand, starting next Monday. Happy to let you know how he finds it.

Would be great to hear, they were one of the companies I considered.

I did the CEH v6 course with Firebrand last year and to be honest it wasn't worth the money, you can probably self train easily enough and save both the money and the 5 long days which were really about 3-4 hours of training per day dragged out to 14 hour days that showed 'hacks' that can only be replicated in a lab as the holes are so out of date you'd struggle to find a live server in such an unpatched state (NT4, Windows XP and 2000 with no updates at all.)

At the end of the course we were supplied with 'Hacking Exposed 6' and told it would be a better read for the exam!

If your familiar with Linux/Unix then you'll have probably played with the tools anyway, if you're from a MS background (like me) you'll get to grips with them quick enough (or use the Windows alternatives).

MOCAS: any news? I've dragged this on long enough, and need to book my exam or I'll never read Shon's book... (she's just a tad ... boring)

I'm a little tempted by this:
http://www.itsecuritytraining.com/training-courses/security-expert-bootcamp.htm
CISSP, CEH and CHFI all rolled into one... though I'm not sure how in depth it is!

(edit: happy to travel to the US if anyone knows of a good center there)
M.

Last edited:
Ok... so an update (finally)...

About 3 months ago, I booked my exam... spoke to my manager regarding doing the training and he said "read the book and self-study, if you pass, great. If you fail, it's only 400£ lost and then you can decide if you need to course"

So I bought Shon's book... and promptly fell asleep reading it. Try as hard as I could, I found it extremely dull and boring. The week before, I found the 11th hour study guide, which is a 200-page review. That was great as it meant I could read it quickly and go "yups, check, no problem, yups, tick, oh wait - need to know what this obscure US law is".

Then... on the day of my birthday, I took the exam... arrived 2 hours early as I couldn't sleep... finished 1.5 hours early thinking I was screwed... 10% of the questions I could have pointed to the page (or at least chapter) in the book I was so sure of the answer. 10% I had no idea whatsoever... the remaining 80% I could eliminate the 2 wrong answers, and then had to decide the "more correct" one...

Then came the 4-6 week wait... which was the worst part! I just wanted to know if I needed to study more or could move on!

Well... my results email just arrived... I passed! With 1 week of "real" studying and some half-hearted attempts at reading Shon's book... I've ecstatic!

Time to celebrate! Just needed to update here first ;)

CISM next...
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom