Citroen 2CV in snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Light body, good weight distribution, long travel suspension, large diameter skinny tyres- in a post WW2 FRANCE the design criteria rumoured to include the ability to carry a basket of eggs over a ploughed field without breaking them - a mere 6 inches of snow - no problem!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They are in one word Brilliant.
I was a participant as mechanicien in Raid Afrique 1973 as a exchange student with Dalles Freres garage Citroen, Rue de Billemont in Roncq 59.
Now a Renault shop:-
Garage Dalle : Garage automobile Roncq : vente voiture, réparation auto, location voiture.

My exchange student was Jean Paul Dalles who did the driving "le pilot" and brother co pilot Andre, when we studied motor vehicle engineering at Lille U.
Happy days before I went on to Cologne University of Applied Sciences - Wikipedia.
Hard work there and the German was tough to digest, but far superior to anything the UK had to offer in studies at the time.
Got a new position (a foot in the door as technical instructor) at Leyland Motors thanks to these two universities for people who get their hands dirty !
De presente Le Raid Afrique 1973
Tuercas viejas

Last edited:
Less famous, but equally capable off-road and in the snow (and this is even before the Safari 4x4 was released):

Back in the early 80s my wife had one, which we got at a year old, what a fun car!
Take back seat out to use as a bench for picnics!

We moved a load of tall houseplants to new home - back seat out and roof rolled back 😁 it looked like a mobile jungle.

It seemed you never had to slow much for corners, it just leaned further 🤣🤣🤣

I remember some guys fitting engines from the Citroen GS1220 to make them rapid, that must have been a hoot, to watch the faces of people getting their doors blown off by a 2CV

Light body, good weight distribution, long travel suspension, large diameter skinny tyres
...add in low power, a heavy flywheel and most of the weight over the driven wheels and you get something eminently driveable in less-than-ideal conditions.

Back in the late 70's a friend of mine got into Mini-Cross racing. At most meetings they also ran 2CV-Cross (which was hugely entertaining to watch) and while the Minis on their relatively wide tyres simply skidded sideways with massive understeer on muddy corners, the 2CV's with their tall, narrow, rubber just dug in and held a line. Important lesson learned.

My son has a Panda Eco, with extra-skinny tyres, light body and FWD. Snow? What snow?

At least all those with 295/35 tyres stuck in the snow can laugh at how unfashionable he is as he drives past them. It must give them great comfort.

These cars were also good for bumping over kerbs at speed.
A regular juant of a Gallic competition was to fiil a 2Cv with people (fellow students) and drive to Paris on a Saturday morning.
Simple rule! NO STOPPING & get to the Arc de Triumph ,--First----by fair means or foul, was the winning team.
It meant bumping up kerbs, driving on the sidewalks (pedestrian pavements) going against one way trafiic --in fact "anything goes" was the mantra of the day.
Looking back it was a wonder we never got into an accident, & nobody ever got hurt if you take French pride out of the equation !
Hoolliganism gone wild/or mad & it says something about French attitudes to most things at the time .
OMG looking back with an aire of maturity & grey hair.
Vive la Difference !
TV

Best car I ever had in the snow was a 1978 Mk 1 Golf diesel 1.5 with no turbo and 145/13 tyres. Would go up snowy lanes where only Landrovers and tractors could go.
Due to it's lack of power/noise/vibration and terrible lack of grip on those tyres was also the worst car I've had when there was no snow.
My S212 E350 should be the worst car I've had in snow but driving in snow a few weeks ago I was impressed, it didn't put a foot (or wheel) wrong. Has got new PS4's on it though

When I was a student a mate had a 2CV, me and another pal always chose to ride in the back.

When at traffic lights we would sway side to side and the car would rock violently, the driver would have to wait until we were bored with it before pulling off.

I remember some guys fitting engines from the Citroen GS1220 to make them rapid, that must have been a hoot, to watch the faces of people getting their doors blown off by a 2CV

It's relatively easy to drop a BMW flat twin into an otherwise standard 2CV, with entertaining results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom