City drivers 'should think twice' before buying SUVs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I personally think the ‘Chelsea Tractor’ narrative runs deeper than just ‘preening’.
For whatever reason a lot of people feel safer in a bigger vehicle. Driving in and around London or any inner City for many can be quite fearful, so the bigger the vehicle the safer they feel.
There's a lot to be said for that. I used to have to drive a range of vehicles through central London and it was definitely far easier in a BMW X5 than a Ferrari F355, despite the latter being quite a bit smaller.

Interestingly this was discussed on the TV this morning. Apparently the increased sales are down to manufacturers pushing them on us. They make more profit on SUV's than saloons or estates.

I am glad no-one is pushing their own personal agendas within this thread. Ahem.
Not sure that SUV vehicles are actually that much bigger as usually based on same chassis, just more imposing perhaps due to height of them.
No doubt the eco mentalists will demand legislation to stamp out this heinous ownership, never mind the family have kids/dog/buggy to transport around for most outings that necessitates a larger vehicle but shame on you living within the outskirts of a city for work. Legislate that means freedom is history.
1984 becomes more relevant as the years go by...... ;-)

A neighbour owns three large labradors which they fit in to a 02reg yaris with the rear seats folded.........

I am glad no-one is pushing their own personal agendas within this thread. Ahem.
Is the agenda one of them there electric cars?

A neighbour owns three large labradors which they fit in to a 02reg yaris with the rear seats folded.........
A good job there's a lab strap for the middle one.

I know, me coats on.

Not sure that SUV vehicles are actually that much bigger as usually based on same chassis, just more imposing perhaps due to height of them.
So how come they always seem to take up so much more of the parking spaces at the local supermarket? Or is it just that they’re too difficult to park between the lines that the owners feel are as metaphorically beneath them as they are in reality? 😉

There is a sDrive X5 tucked away somewhere in the range. (I'm not sure that they sell it in the UK?).

I think maybe there should be a law that you can only stick large rims with low profile tyres on 2WD vehicles over 1.6 tonnes - then that would mean a rush by manufacturers to make and sell 2WD versions of the larger models and encourage them to sell lighter 'sports' 4WD models.:rolleyes:
One of my neighbours has this SUV. What a pointless thing it is. Totally stuck in the snow the same as every other rwd car this winter. Gutless 2.0l Diesel engine as well for that weight.

Interestingly this was discussed on the TV this morning. Apparently the increased sales are down to manufacturers pushing them on us. They make more profit on SUV's than saloons or estates.

A couple of years back when our old galaxy was put out to pasture after 10 years faithful family service we ended up getting a suv. When we bought the galaxy 10 years ago the local dealer had 10 pre regs all lined up to choose from with 8 grand off list. FF 10 years and there was less than 10 new galaxies for sale in the whole country with zero off list. Now if you wanted a Kuga thousands of them. So not blaming the manufacturers it's just how things have moved on. So if you are midget like the wife and need a high driving position a suv is the only choice nowadays. So I refuse to be Judged by the pious for my purchasing decisions on what was actually available.

I'm not so sure.

The change started happening quite a while back - Nissan killed off the Primera as a result of the way Qashqai sales were going. The likes of MB amd BMW have sold more SUV varieties along with saloons as they have extended their market.

There is an element of removing choice - with what Nissan did - but arguably that leaves space in the market that other manufactures would seize.

If the manufacturers are making more profit then unless SUV styled vehicles are cheaper to make - then it's because customers are willing to pay more.

Hi , well as a good boy I scrapped my petrol Volvo V90 at the request of the UK government. ( 225,000 miles and never missed a beat )

The UK government then told me to purchase a nice diesel car.

I did buy a really good diesel Mitsubishi Shogun 4x4 or 4x2 depending or my requirement that I still have to this day.

I could not scrap this car as it is still road worthy.Leaders then said diesels are dirty ( I believed them )

Our beloved leaders then told me to acquire a nice petrol engine car that I duly did ( petrol are dirty they now tell me )

I have now been told to go out a purchase a nice battery car !

Ops we got in wrong again future governments will say.

Shall I send the invoices for my old cars to The Treasury !

Oh FFS just live and let live. Interestingly I never liked SUVs and have never owned one. So I insisted we bought an A6 Avant as it was more practical and it wasn’t an SUV.

Anway, two years on I wish I hadn’t bought a massive estate car. It isn’t that practical and it is huuuuuuuuuge to try and park.

I wish we’d bough a GLC which has similar boot space, a nice high driving position and a smaller foot print.

We will be getting rid of said Audi in two years. I am 99% sure it will be replaced with a GLC or similar. I couldn’t give a stuff about driving dynamics as it’s a family barge. What I do care about is the size in car parks and the ease of access. At 44 years old I already have back issues which was earlier in life than I expected. But by god it is a real issue now. I find getting in and out of the low Audi a a chore and the ride is firm. Softly sprung SUV appeals.

The SUV shape is undeniably practical if inefficient both in terms of weight and aerodynamics. That's the bottom line and it's working against governments and manufacturers best efforts to reduce emissions. You can argue they have brought forward the death of IC vehicles because the manufacturers can't get fleet emissions down to the target levels. Progress at reducing emissions simply stopped because of increasing SUV popularity. EV 's are not the whole answer if they are going to continually increase in size and weight. To me a monster SUV to transport one person is environmentally obscene regardless of the motive force. I hear what people say about dogs etc but almost without exception every one I see has one person in it.

The upsizing of the average family vehicle has posed a constant and huge problem for our dear Island ferry companies Wightlink and Red Funnel. Now that lockdown is in its deaththrows and the glorious 12th looms ever closer, this year will no doubt prove to be an even larger migraine for them, as they do their best to shoehorn as many gargantuan sized vehicles onto each sailing as is humanly possible. It’s incredible how vehicles have grown in size since I’ve lived here, and how scary it can be to watch as families exit their vehicle RIGHT next door to your pride and joy. 😳😳

. To me a monster SUV to transport one person is environmentally obscene regardless of the motive force.
And no 2 tonne saloon was ever driver only?
Big saloons are very little lighter than SUVs. Why not take aim at them also? They are more profligate. My 2 tonne SUV can take a 750kg payload and tow 3.5tons (simultaneously). All a 2 tonne S Class can do is luxury.

Perfect time to tax urban electric SUV on weight and size, foot print. More crowded roads and larger vehicles!!!
I’ve never understood why the Congestion Charge isn’t called the Pollution Charge (not PC enough?), EVs cause just as much traffic congestion as a dirty diesel, (except maybe causing congestion up your nose, but that’s not the point!)

And no 2 tonne saloon was ever driver only?
Big saloons are very little lighter than SUVs. Why not take aim at them also? They are more profligate. My 2 tonne SUV can take a 750kg payload and tow 3.5tons (simultaneously). All a 2 tonne S Class can do is luxury.
Big saloons tend to do rather better on mpg. Even an S Class - if it's diesel and driven sensibly.

How often does a vehicle actually get loaded up to get the benefit of its extra load and passenger capacities.

And I have a large permanent 4WD wagon so I'm only pointing this out - not pointing fingers.

Last edited:
After all this abuse for the 4X4 i don't know how you could keep yours, you should get rid of it !! and give it to me, i will love it for you, if no one comes across i will take a Range Rover as well. Life is a happy place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom