City drivers 'should think twice' before buying SUVs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m watching avidly how the public in this country react to the 2030 deadline. Dictating exactly what people are allowed to buy is IMHO a highly risky strategy to put it mildly. Being a lifelong sceptic, I just wonder how close we‘ll get to 2030, before people realise the practicality and cost of this ‘electric’ revolution.

I meant popular large SUVs such as the Range Rover, Land Cruiser, G-Wagen etc. Why aren't there 4x2 versions? Surly Chelsea tractor owner would be happy to save some money.
....and probably would not even notice that it was not 4x4

Many city dwellers large SUV's reveal a conflicted sort of owner mindset--- they are often bought as a visible demonstration of wealth and success -----but at the same time tinged by the inherent British societal dislike of ostentation --an image conveniently negated in their owners mind by their "practicality" or in the case of EV their "environmental credentials" Its no wonder that they get angry when that mindset is challenged. ;)

I’m watching avidly how the public in this country react to the 2030 deadline. Dictating exactly what people are allowed to buy is IMHO a highly risky strategy to put it mildly. Being a lifelong sceptic, I just wonder how close we‘ll get to 2030, before people realise the practicality and cost of this ‘electric’ revolution.
Last count there were 16 UK cities penalising the diesel. That was some time ago so I don't know where we are now.

Many are already suffering great depreciation having to sell to avoid planned taxation, penalties, charges.... anyway local Gov't happy slapping.

Of course there will be improvements in EV tech, possibly great leaps who knows? Saving the planet it 'aint, a disadvantage to those with less available free funds it is.
The finance industry will enjoy that advantage.

I meant popular large SUVs such as the Range Rover, Land Cruiser, G-Wagen etc. Why aren't there 4x2 versions? Surly Chelsea tractor owner would be happy to save some money.

There is a sDrive X5 tucked away somewhere in the range. (I'm not sure that they sell it in the UK?).

I think maybe there should be a law that you can only stick large rims with low profile tyres on 2WD vehicles over 1.6 tonnes - then that would mean a rush by manufacturers to make and sell 2WD versions of the larger models and encourage them to sell lighter 'sports' 4WD models.:rolleyes:

''100% big heavy and ugly'' is a reasonable description of many meat eaters.

SUV use is an easy visible target for those who merely dislike them but fail to address their own carbon footprint. Meat consumption, insistence on out of (UK) season produce all year long, air travel, overheating of large homes, endless materialistic consumerism, etc, etc. All conveniently invisible for the pious who merely wish to lambast what they personally dislike on grounds they are as guilty as anyone of not addressing.

Well thinking it was news I very almost clicked on the link, then I realised it was an article published by the BBC ;) No doubt the Daily Fail will be along shortly too :wallbash:

But no one mentions over population and the lack of policies to address that for the future.

Less people = less waste, less pollution, and a better less stressful existence for the lower numbered populations.

Toward the end of the industrial revolution, say 1850, the world was less concerned about pollution.
Of course we didn't have cars, planes and massive container ships,
but there was also only approx 1 billion people demanding roads, holidays, and produce from China.

It really has no value in curbing individuals carbon footprint with the worlds population growth rate.
We are merely deferring our own destruction, and the jungles, animal life and air quality we affect along the way.

Poor Greta didn't consider the materials of her dry suit, construction of the yacht and the fact that if it didn't have and use an engine it would be dangerous.
We are fed distracting bs while encouraged to help economic growth of large organisations and countries.

We are the root cause. Our over seers want more of us to finance them.
We are also inherently selfish and continue to enjoy the benefits of all this while only pretending we care.

Well thinking it was news I very almost clicked on the link, then I realised it was an article published by the BBC ;) No doubt the Daily Fail will be along shortly too :wallbash:
Technically ----reported by the BBC but originally published by the RAC Foundation.

Are they kept as pets?

I don't see any adverts for pet food for cows.

So on that basis I'd say it's probably not common for them to be kept as pets.

I meant popular large SUVs such as the Range Rover, Land Cruiser, G-Wagen etc. Why aren't there 4x2 versions? Surly Chelsea tractor owner would be happy to sav

BBC Radio 2 are all over it as I type , so it must be a big story ;) Vanessa Phelps is standing in for Jeeereemmy Vine, Good , she knows more about cars than him .

The SUV is the 21st Century version of the Top Hat. Its got sod all to do with the environment. I should imagine that the environmental impact of all the 1000s upon 1000s of School run mums driving their 2wd cashcows when they could be driving fiestas is a heck of a lot more harmful than a few hundred hooray henrys driving their FF Range Rovers actually in Chelsea. Its just the moaning trots with their usual bash the upper class.

Not this again! Create anti 4x4 narrative then sneak in tax rises to ‘solve’ the problem which hit pretty much every motorist without so much resistance.

I wouldn’t mind a 4x4 next. My sister bought an RX350 which is fantastic, it wafts serenely over potholes and speed bumps.

I personally think the ‘Chelsea Tractor’ narrative runs deeper than just ‘preening’.
For whatever reason a lot of people feel safer in a bigger vehicle. Driving in and around London or any inner City for many can be quite fearful, so the bigger the vehicle the safer they feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom