CKL Clive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

Has anyone had work done by CKL, and would they recommend him?

Also, he seems not to be around here any longer, does anyone have contact details for him?

Thanks a lot

He quoted me for some work some time ago. There was a waiting list. I waited...and waited. I was given excuses. I declined to give him my business but suspect he wasn't interested. For all I know his work may be first rate. His quotes and PR were certainly competitive. But messing customers around did not inspire confidence.

Hopefully will be able to return,very knowledgeable on mercedes rust issues and remedies.

lots of talk not much evidence!

if you need a good workshop in east london\essex use Sira motors in barking, they restore cars from scratch and paint matches are spot on.

He was given a week in the cooler for persistantly advertising after being alerted to the issue way back in February.

It isnt fair on the official sponsors to allow this to continue so the cooler it had to be, despite the fact that we all enjoy his threads.

Last edited:
The Wayne Rooney of MBClub - hopefully without the wig?

I think a few people have been a bit harsh.

Clive is certainly not the only person to financially benefit from the forum.

A number of independents rather obviously have received a number of customers via showing their knowledge, people recommending them or by them paying to advertise on the forum.

The only difference between those people and Clive appears to be that Clive is not a paying advertiser.

Obviously Clive must abide by the rules if he wishes to advertise, but attacking his work, or the fact that he is very busy, seems a bit over the top. I have not had any work done by Clive, but I have not seen any bad reports about his work. Clive seems knowledgeable in his area and has a lot of good feedback on this forum.

It seems that for some they will jump at the chance to criticise members, or suggest that someone is better than someone else, without any form of evidence on which to base a comparison. Yet delivered as if it were gospel!

For example
lots of talk not much evidence!

Yet a quick search reveals a whole project carried out by Clive, and the owner seemed pretty happy! http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/111726-1999-clk-after-restore-work-cklclive-3.html

Last edited:
+1...Clive comes across to me as a thoroughly decent guy...and anyone who has used him has been very complimentary about his work. I just wish I lived closer.

As I say. My experience with Clive was 1st Class. He was recommended to me by other forum members.

I took my 124 300te estate to him for the usual rusty rear wing (big hole at bottom of pillar) along with other general dents and scrapes and full bonnet re-spray.

Clive asked me to send him pics due to distance. From that we agreed a price and time line.

He kept in touch with me and the car was completed when he said it would be. I was very pleased with the work done which included fabricating a filler panel on the rear wing (as opposed to stuffing it full of filler and news paper).

To be honest. If I had the money I would have got him to re-spray the entire car as his work was so good. Having met him he was polite and very pleasant to deal with.

You do not need to look far on this forum to read horror stories that people have with body shops. That is why I value people opinions on here and would tend to use those recommended here.

Please be mindful that people come on here and offer help if we bash them they can lose business on a very large scale just for being on this forum. That would seem unfair.

Co-incidentally I delivered my coupe to Clive yesterday to have a full re-spray and various bit done to it. Clive will be taking plenty of pictures i hope as I plan to put a thread up once completed so you can all see her in her restored glory. I will also put pictures of the work under the bonnet up finally;)

No issues with with Clive.

Top bloke and equally impressive work.

I had work done on the coupe which involved corrosion treatment around on all the 124 hotspots treating welding new metal where needed etc, including respraying claddings and bumbers.

Also came down to london after short notice with his tools to cut out a pair of hefty rear coupe wings for me for me to store in the garage for a rainy day..as you do!?

I have also had dealings with Clive.. He serviced and diagnosed some issues with my CLK 55. Very nice guy and always happy to help.

CLK will be going back to him very soon, should he have a slot available.

I think a few people have been a bit harsh.
Obviously Clive must abide by the rules if he wishes to advertise, but attacking his work, or the fact that he is very busy, seems a bit over the top. ...
It seems that for some they will jump at the chance to criticise members, or suggest that someone is better than someone else, without any form of evidence on which to base a comparison. Yet delivered as if it were gospel!
[/U]

I think that since this comment appears to be partly directed at me, I should elaborate further, having been fortunate to save the emails in my archive. I visited Clive on 24/02/12. I got a quote back on 08/03/12 I then asked for details of the waiting list and my position in it by email. I never received an email stating where I was in the queue nor when my car likely to be seen to. Clive did say verbally on the telephone after this that the work would probably be done at the "end of May/beginning of June" and to call back to get a firm date in mid May which I did. I was then told by text that my car could not be seen until September.
There is no doubt that Clive is busy and has satisfied customers. However, it appeared that to me that he was making up his queue and production schedule as he went along doing the jobs he felt like when he felt like. Of course that is his perogative as it is his business. However, customers need to plan their lives too and what would happen when I called again in September? I decided not to wait to find out.
I really wanted Clive to deal with my car as I had seen the good reports of satisfied customers and taken the trouble to visit his workshop to get the car appraised. However, the business with ever changing and receding dates made me change my mind.
I am glad hat some forum members got good service and value, but unfortunately my experience was different.

Last edited:
I assume we are talking about Clive DCP restorations?

Why is he banned?

For advertising.

Because as everyone knows this site is free of advertising...

I thought he had been asking admin if he could become a forum advertiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom