CKM Car Design - bad experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TTManUK

Car
C63 AMG
Hi gents - just a quick post to suggest that anyone considering using this business tread very carefully.

I spent around £900 on an Android screen and a couple of bits of basic carbon (mirrors/boot spoiler) from CKM Car Design (https://www.ckmcardesign.com/) back in September. This included around 100 Euro for shipping, which at the time I thought was pretty steep, but I wanted the products.

The Android unit came pretty quickly, however it was apparent that the unit had just been ordered from Alibaba with my delivery details, with CKM taking a cut in the middle. On receipt of the unit, there was no installation/wiring instructions and more problematic, no indication as to what the factory unlock code was for the software. Without this, it is not possible to configure the unit to work properly. Of course, I only found this out once my dash was disassembled. I spent all weekend trawling the web trying to find some suggestion as to how I could configure the unit, eventually figuring out that the unit was originally built and configured by "Car Life Mall" in China. Despite not having paid them, they were very quick to provide support (unlike CKM who took a week to come back to me), and I would recommend anyone considering the head unit upgrade to deal with them direct. They gave me the unlock code, and I got mostly everything working. I advised CKM that they may want to publish the install instructions and the unlock code on their website to support customers, to be told "no way, then other sellers can steal my support sheet. This is what my customers pay for, good support"....

This left me waiting for the carbon parts. After a few weeks of waiting, I chased, to be told end of October. A few more chases, and requests for partial refund being ignored, and it was now due end of November. End of November comes around, and I can see from the tracking number provided by CKM that they have received the delivery of carbon parts from South Korea. Another week passes, I have received no update. I again send another chaser, only to be told that "I need to find a box to ship in". At this point I have been waiting 9 weeks - plenty of time to have arranged packaging for shipping. After again complaining and requesting a refund, the current position from CKM is that they will "ship in basic packaging and hope for the best that nothing gets damaged, since my customer service is being questioned". I have paid extortionate shipping charges already, waited 9+ weeks, and now they are risking damaging the products I paid for back in September. Their attitude has been poor from the start, and having done some more digging (which I wish I had done a few months ago), it is clear I am not the only one who has had this experience with CKM:

Anyone buy a steering wheel CKM Car Designs before? - MBWorld.org Forums
CKM Car design?? - MBWorld.org Forums
https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/ckmcardesign.com

I will be requesting a chargeback from my card provider, and have complained to the relevant ombudsman type body covering inter-country trade into Sweden. I would strongly recommend that anyone considering using CKM for Mercedes parts look elsewhere. Hopefully this helps someone avoid my situation in future.

Cant say I have heard of them before, thanks for posting , will save other members the same hassle.

It's annoying, as I would have also ordered one of the carbon steering wheel upgrades in time, but there is no way I am spending another £1000+ to deal with this again.

Thanks for that, it is indeed. I could understand if there were delays and he was apologetic and kept me up to date, but I kept having to chase, and not once did I get anything like an apology for the inconvenience, only his sh*tty attitude, which seems a common thread across the posts complaining about him.

Tried to enquire about some items but the dude was a complete douche. I didn't buy it in the end.
In regards to the unit, yes car life mall builds them, they even have their own website. They sell the units for $600-700 whilst CKM wants £700-800.
Question about the unit though, does it use the cars microphone or do you need to attach a second one? Another one is, do you get navigation instructions via car speakers or is there a speaker on the unit instead?

The kit comes with an external mic, but in my very limited attempts to use the car kit for calls, people on the other end could not hear me at all, not even muffled. I need to play with it a bit, I didn't really buy it for hands free calling. I also tend to turn nav voiceover off, so couldn't say, but I would expect like all other sound emanating from the tablet, it would come through the car speakers

Just to add to this shitshow, the missing parts are now in the country, and now I will have to do battle with UPS as the seller has deliberately overstated the package value, so I am now being asked to pay more import charges that I should have to - despite providing the parts invoice as evidence of package value. Not to mention I can see from the UPS invoice that the shipping service he used charged 15 euro, and I was charged nearly 100. Absolute joke - and UPS are about as bad as CKM when it comes to customer service. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Refuse to pay for these badges, then make a charge back.
Let the package go back to the swede, he'll be surprised. :eek:

That was my intention, however having tried to do a charge back through my card provider, they are hiding behind the merchant Ts&Cs which basically says that once an order has been "effected", it cannot be cancelled, and receipt of an invoice (which is automatically sent upon purchase) is what constitutes effecting an order. So another company to avoid, don't use Starling bank!

Apparently Distance buying regulations also apply to products bought in EU to UK
I had been on that site before, unfortunately since the majority of this country decided to shoot itself in the foot and vote for Brexit, that page does not apply anymore. However I do have a case open with the UKECC which is a sort of equivalent. I had hoped the Consumer Rights Act would provide some emphasis for the card provider to help me, but apparently not. Unfortunately every party involved in this transaction has let me down so far (with the exception of Car Life Mall).

Please Sir, ask me how I know!
I've never heard anything particularly negative about the Swedes before, I've never been a fan of ABBA but rather like the Mrs' Volvo.

I've never heard anything particularly negative about the Swedes before, I've never been a fan of ABBA but rather like the Mrs' Volvo.

You don't live in the country, I do!

If you're curious why I wouldn't trust a Swede?
Please ask further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom