CL 420 / 500 Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R1der

Car
W204 C250 CDI Sport
Spotted in shops not too far from me a CL 420 ( 1997 model ) and a CL 500 ( 2000 model year ) that look quite good, 420 low mileage and bodywork looks good too. Question is can any of you experts out there advise on what to look for on these models. Is a W140 CL 420 a better buy than the 215 and what are the normal disaster or big expense thongs to look for.
Does this model have the same tin worm issues as the W210 E class as the last one I had was an awesome car that drove absolutely superb but went rotten in all the usual places, boot lock, wings, door tops, and the last straw was the crossmember totaly rotten through.
So far have been to see and start up the 500 but could not drive it as warning on dash said "ABC too low do not drive" and a tyre down to canvas on the front did not look good. Its in a dealers though and they will sort out ABC and tyre together with a number of other things before sale and get it sorted so I can drive it before getting tied into a deal.
Going to see 420 tomorrow hopefully that one can be driven...
I understand the issues with ABC and potential costs but if bought with a warranty the 500 looks a good bet, but the 420 should not have any of the possible expense associated with ABC...
Anyway all advice gratefully accepted :confused:

Last edited:
The 500 is reckoned to be a stronger engine than the 420 but at the age of the cars it really depends on how they have been treated. The W140 97 model has the benefit of being a model well down its production run so most problems will have been sorted. The 2000 W215 is a model in its first year of production and with its active suspension and more complex electronics has more things to go wrong. I know which one I would go for---theoretically! but really depends on condition.
PS I would never ever buy a car that can't be driven on the road unless its for restoration.

Thanks for the reply Graham, dont worry no thought at all of buying either car until an extended road test has taken place in both. Whichever car I end up with has to be a daily driver not a toy.
The 500 needs the ABC sorting and the tyre before I will even consider buying it but i just wanted to poll the experts on here of what to look for on either car.
Armed forces day today got the better of me though and i spent all day in the sun looking at bikes, custom cars and listening to bands. Will resume the looking at old cars plan tomorrow but at least that gives a chance for a few more people to give me pointers.
So come on all of you out there :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom