CL 500 dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steadyeddie

Car
Mercedes CLK 320 W208
Hi everyone, I'm hoping for some advice if possible....

A colleague of mine has a 1996 CL500 with a smidge over 105k on the clock. The car has just been taxed and MOT'd ready to sell but last week the power steering pump went and needs replacing.

The dilemma is that the estimated cost to replace the power steering pump is around £400 but he is reluctant to spend the money as the car may still not sell after the work's completed.

There are only a couple of CL500's on Autotrader / Pistonheads to compare with so it's difficult to get a realistic price. I can't imagine these tanks are easy to sell! It's HUGE!

Any help much appreciated! As a big Mercedes fan I don't want to see it go to We Buy Any Car!!

Many thanks

Edward

Hi Edward,

Those cars now belong in a very niche market as not too many people are brave enough nowadays to run a 16 year old V8 Mercedes with more electrics than the Space Shuttle...

However, you will always find a buyer for it depending how long he wants to advertise it.

How much is it worth, they vary in price from £1200 to £5000 this all depends so much on condition, history etc...

Have you anymore info on the car?

Thanks

David

It's got for be worth spending £400 if that's all that's wrong with it.

Ok - it's not going to be worth fortunes, but with sensible miles, year's MOT and tax and no major faults it should be worth more than a 'spares/repairs' type sale?

W.B.A.C will probably offer scrap value or close...

Hi David,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've just asked my colleague and he bought the car five years ago from a dealer. It's blue / black in colour with grey leather interior. It also has full service history (although not all by Mercedes).

I have seen the car once and it looked lovely, however without seeing it again and looking closely I can't say anymore than that I'm afraid.

Edward

Hi Will,

Yes agreed, if it were me I would do the same, purely because I would like the new owner to drive away happy. However, I can also understand his predicament, if he can't realise the £400 back on the sale then there's little incentive to carry out the the repair.

I think the emotional attachment to the car has gone and he'd like to sell the car asap.

p.s. Who is / are W.B.A.C.?

Edward

That's We Buy Any Car,

Personally, if the car is in a good state then the £400 will need to be spent otherwise it's a 99p no reserve on ebay with a repair needed, that will only drive down the value dramatically...

How much is he after for it?

He was (before the power steering pump went) asking for £3500

There has to be room between giving it away at scrap value and his asking price to pay for a steering pump? I don't think he has an alternative really.

There has to be room between giving it away at scrap value and his asking price to pay for a steering pump? I don't think he has an alternative really.

Agreed. However the asking price isn't guaranteed and was solely based on the asking prices of similar models for sale at the moment.

It seems to be a fairly rare car but I'm sure the engine size and current fuel prices will put most people off. Then again it is a LOT of car for the money.

I think you'll be very hard pushed to fit a new pump for £400. The pump alone from MB is £686 +vat (part number a0024666001), then you'll need alot of Pentosin to refill and flush the system, and not too mention the labour. A decent MB indy would charge between £750 and £1000. Keep your eyes open and dont let your heart tell you what to do, let the mind make decisions.

They`re not really woth much at the moment to be honest,even roadworthy let alone non drivable

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who / where would be interested in a car like this? He has booked to take the car to a W.B.A.C dealer on Saturday so any advice much appreciated.

If we had some visuals it would be much easier to comment.
I've been looking for a decent one for literally years and have yet to see anything I'd risk offering anywhere near the asking price.

What have WBAC offered him? They usually go much lower when you take the car in too....

They quoted £1300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom