cl 600 .vibration on light acceleration ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njkmr

Hi folks ,

had my car for about 2 months now and starting to get used to it .54 cl600 .

I have noticed ,mainly when cold ,that under light acceleration I seem to get a bit of vibration when setting off .Car has done 59k miles .I have no idea where its coming from ,gearbox ,prop ,or engine ?

Drives fine and smooth when warm and under harder acceleration .

Has anybody got any ideas as to where it may be coming from .?

Regards
Rob .

Could be the torque converter - slight vibration is a symptom of getting glycol into the autobox fluid. Hope it is not that as it could be pricy.

+3 that does sound like a Tc issue. |A refurbishment is possible.

A new owner with a slight vibration when accerating lightly in a cosseting CL 600 ?

That'll be the wheels spinning dear chap..................

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Seriously though, does sound like the TC as above. 2 month ownership - did you get a warranty ?

Yikes ,thanks fellas .

I did get a 3 year warranty with it ,so lets hope it was worth it .
It was a £1000 limit per claim ,but I got them to up it to £2000 .

Am I looking to cover any issue with TC for that sort of limit ???

Thanks Again .

Well its in at the garage at the moment being looked at .
They said it seems to do it also when revved in Neutral ,so they say it may be an engine mount .???

Also told them the front nearside wing was resting on the tyre the other day ,so they are going to flush the ABC system(possible sticking valve) ,but they need a new filter ,so waiting for that to come in .The car does rise up when pressing the raise suspension button and goes back down OK,and seems to stay up when driving ,it just happened when left for a couple of days,without being driven .

They are also looking at the amp for the stereo which has no sound on the drivers side .

Not the best welcome to MB ownership but hey ho .!!!!

Still love the car ,but just want it right .:bannana::bannana::bannana:

They said it seems to do it also when revved in Neutral ,so they say it may be an engine mount .???

Also told them the front nearside wing was resting on the tyre the other day ,so they are going to flush the ABC system(possible sticking valve) ,but they need a new filter ,so waiting for that to come in .The car does rise up when pressing the raise suspension button and goes back down OK,and seems to stay up when driving ,it just happened when left for a couple of days,without being driven .

They are also looking at the amp for the stereo which has no sound on the drivers side .

Not the best welcome to MB ownership but hey ho .!!!!

Still love the car ,but just want it right .:bannana::bannana::bannana:
first fault sounds like an engine mount so they are probably right, second fault will be the valve block itself, flushing sometimes works but rarely does, its more cost effective to go straight for a new valve block if your paying plus flush and filters (there are 2 that need doing) at an average price of £2400 at main dealers. but if its warranted then they will try the flush first, (cheaper for them if they get lucky) but as said rarely works. good luck with it fantastic car these when all is well:D

Thanks gaz6148 .

The car is fantastic and looks great .Feels fantastic swanning aound in it .I just want these things sorted so I can get back to enjoying it .

Last edited:
regarding the vibration that can be heard when stationary. i have seen a couple of cars with the (awful) abc system that had collapsed vibration dampers in the pressure line from the abc pump. the symptoms were very similar to how i understand yours to be. the cure is fairly simple, the damper is a pressure accumulator mounted under the o/s of the bellhousing, this just needs replacing. the hard part is getting a clear diagnosis. i suggest sitting in the car with the engine running at 1,500 rpm or whatever speed the noise is loudest. holding speed constant press the raise suspension on for 5 secs, then off for 5 secs and repeat the process. if the noises is slightly changed every time you go through this cycle then i am sure you have the damper fault. if ordering a new vibration damper beware though, MB parts have the wrong damper identified on their EPC and will try to supply one that requires engine removal to replace!

if your garage has 'sd media' then they will find this fault in the noise diagnosis trees.

alexander ,I cant hear the vibration or any noise to be honest .

I can feel the vibration at low revs as I set off .Its hard to descibe but its like a rumbling through the car that goes once you are moving at say over 25 mph .Only seems to be in low gear .Perhaps I can describe it like a plane taking off ,everything shaking when under load then when airborn all calms down and is smooth again .!!!! Obviously not quite that dramatic though !!!

I will phone them Tuesday to see what they say .I have never used this independant before because its my 1st MB car .

be interested to see the outcome with the door speaker as my cl55 has no sound on the drivers side. I have been told in the past it is more likely be down to the wiring in the hinges splitting?

cl55 amg ,I was hoping it was just the wires ,but according to the garage ,it looks like the amp .:eek:

They are supposed to be trying to find someone who can repair it .If its about £1000 to replace with new I was hoping i could just get a different type of amp from car stereo shop and mate it up to the stuff aleady in there for maybe a couple of hundred .Not sure what the outcome will be on this as it is not covered by the warranty ...:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I am near you cl55 nr Rochdale so if you get yours sorted let me know as I may try elsewhere with the amp .

Last edited:
cl55 amg ,I was hoping it was just the wires ,but according to the garage ,it looks like the amp .:eek:

They are supposed to be trying to find someone who can repair it .If its about £1000 to replace with new I was hoping i could just get a different type of amp from car stereo shop and mate it up to the stuff aleady in there for maybe a couple of hundred .Not sure what the outcome will be on this as it is not covered by the warranty ...:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I am near you cl55 nr Rochdale so if you get yours sorted let me know as I may try elsewhere with the amp .

will do mate, there is a nice 500/55 in a scrap yard in oldham i got the 2004 rear lights for mine. Might be worth giving a second hand one a try???

p.s there is a guy on Ebay that repairs them..

Yes good suggestion .
I will have a look on e-bay .
Thanks.

be interested to see the outcome with the door speaker as my cl55 has no sound on the drivers side. I have been told in the past it is more likely be down to the wiring in the hinges splitting?

on the 215 cl this is a VERY common problem, i am sure it will turn out to be this.

if it does it in neutral i STRONGLY suggest you try sitting inside when stationary and out of gear, and hold the revs around 2,000 rpm (try a few speeds) and listen for the noise. it will be easy for you to do this, and you may learn something useful...

if it does it in neutral i STRONGLY suggest you try sitting inside when stationary and out of gear, and hold the revs around 2,000 rpm (try a few speeds) and listen for the noise. it will be easy for you to do this, and you may learn something useful...

Hey Im always willing to learn something useful ....

Im only going off what Im being told by the dealer who took it too this independant garage,they nomally deal with .I have never heard any noise when revving it ,just felt the shaking when setting off .:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

fair enough njkmr, if you feel the symptom rather than hearing it it doesn't really fit this scenario, good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom