CL 63 hesitation on acceleration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gastro

Hello all ! Currently not an AMG owner, but was hoping to be this morning :wallbash:

Long story short. Had a '60 plate CL63 amg delivered today (5.5l biturbo, 30k miles). Full MBSH.

Looked great condition, but when test driving it, I could feel hesitation on gentle acceleration up 2k revs. It was most pronounced on pulling away, and then after 2k revs, it picked up as expected....

No warning lights etc. I suspect it could be electrical or possible transmission related.

Needless to say I rejected it immediately. The dealer tells me that all cl 63's do this :fail ... but I insisted I wasn't happy and it's gone back.

Long shot, but anyone heard of similar with this engine/transmission (7 sp mct).

Cheers
Simon

A bit drastic to reject the car without any obvious faults and not having it looked into but there you go. Perhaps driven gently for the last few K miles and needs a soft ECU reset. Had it in my CL55 a few years back upon test drive. Felt lethargic as it's not the type of car associated with fast driving. Just my 2p.

Did you try it in sport and manual.....like Alex states could just need a "soft" reset if it has been driven by Miss Daisy previously

If not in sport/manual it's likely the gearbox was pulling away in 2nd gear.

Also remember that despite being an AMG 63 the CL is a big GT cruiser, not a sports car. Don't expect it to behave like a sports car.

Hello all ! Currently not an AMG owner, but was hoping to be this morning :wallbash:

Long story short. Had a '60 plate CL63 amg delivered today (5.5l biturbo, 30k miles). Full MBSH.

Looked great condition, but when test driving it, I could feel hesitation on gentle acceleration up 2k revs. It was most pronounced on pulling away, and then after 2k revs, it picked up as expected....

No warning lights etc. I suspect it could be electrical or possible transmission related.

Needless to say I rejected it immediately. The dealer tells me that all cl 63's do this :fail ... but I insisted I wasn't happy and it's gone back.

Long shot, but anyone heard of similar with this engine/transmission (7 sp mct).

Cheers
Simon

Did you test drive it before buying? if so how was it then?

Doesn't sound right to me. You did the correct thing in my opinion. Sounds like the plugs have water in them. Only saying this as I jet washed a engine many years ago, not knowing what I was doing and it ended up doing the same thing.

I have the same car. As mentioned if you where in comfort and not sport it will start in second gear or where you in stop start ( Eco ) There is no Turbo lag. You do get a two year AMG warranty. That's a shame, it would be good to welcome a Facelift CL to the Forum. Very rare and with only 30,000 miles !!

Last edited:
Whilst I understand walking away - if it isn't right in your gut, it isn't right.

However, if this is the only reason, I would work with the trader to get it investigated by a reputable inde (ideally recommended from here). This presumes the trader is of the decent amicable type.

Seems a shame to throw away a car for the sake of what could be nothing.

On the other hand, if there is an issue, you can negotiate with the trader and come to an agreement.

If it is the car you want, stick with it.

Although depending on your constitution, these kind of cars may not be right for you.

I have the same car. As mentioned if you where in comfort and not sport it will start in second gear or where you in stop start ( Eco ) There is no Turbo lag. You do get a two year AMG warranty. That's a shame, it would be good to welcome a Facelift CL to the Forum. Very rare and with only 30,000 miles !!

There is a chance it might not be a facelift.

In my historical perusing, I have seen pre-facelift 60 plates.

Rear lights being the most obvious change although they could be retro-fitted of course.

It's a w126 facelift.
I'm used to similar (own a c7 rs6 and a 997.2 turbo S) -- I test drove it before exchanging any contract - that morning, hence going with my gut instinct.
It may well be something or nothing, but I didn't see it was my issue to solve and since it's got a simple Indy warranty didn't have confidence it would be easy to solve either...

It's not turbo lag. But wondered if there were any known issues like this - which there doesn't seem to be.....

Indy Warranty ? You mentioned a dealer, was it not a MB dealer ?

Mine still does it especially when cold...the other issue I experience is when say you lift off at low revs anyway into a roundabout, then go to accelerate quickly the turbo lag is quite pronounced- under load it's fine
Minor irritations to a superb car mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom