Cl or SL........ which is the wisest buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reggie-rock

Car
2015 E Class coupe 220 diesel bluetec, 2009 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3
After a long hard think I am going to sell my Porsche Cayman as after only 6 weeks of ownership, it is just not practical for my wife being so low getting in and out with her back problem which is a shame as it's in mint condition and with out a single blemish, so at least I will get my money back.
So now I am looking to come back to Mercedes, but which one?
I will have around £16,000 to spend and thinking of either a SL or a CL and would like to invite any thoughts, any engine size considered as economy is not an issue.
I prefer the CL as it's rarer, has more toys as opposed to the SL which looks the same at the front as my previous, car a A209.
Looking forward to reading your thoughts and anything I should be aware of when looking at these cars.
Thanks

Would the SL be any easier to get in and out of? I'd imagine the CL would be better?

^ This.
The SL would present the same difficulties as your current car.

CL everytime. Lush on wheels and with your budget you should manage a nice 500 with good spec.

Really quite different cars.

I'm probably going to buy a CL500 this summer to replace my SL500 and, maybe, my S211 E500.

The SL500 is a lovely car - beautiful, significant convertible - a real statement car, more so, IMHO, that an SLK or Boxster. It really catches everyone's eye.

The CL500 is something really quite different. The best way of describing it is that "when one is being driven," one takes the S500, but "when one drives oneself," one drives the CL500.

The CL is really a shorter S class, for someone pootling about in luxury on their own, or with someone else, and occasionally a couple of folks in the back. It oozes the quality and quietness of the S class, but without the length, and inconvenience of the full size limo.

Much depends on whether you need those seats in the back, of course. If you do, then there's not much of a conversation. But remember that these are real adult seats, not compressed little things as in the Cayman or BMW 3 coupe. (Yes, I've had those too)

But, as always, the only way to work out whether you want one, is to drive one. A viewing is worth days of reading on the Internet....

We have an SL and it's low. The CL will provide much easier entry/exit.

Sounds like an ideal excuse to go browsing to me.

Both are quite some change from a Cayman.

I would go for the CL, as said much easier to get in and out,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom