Cl rear shock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m2287

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG
I have a cl55amg (2001) ... I need a rear passenger side shock...

I have been told that the cl500 and cl600 both use the same part as the 55amg, is this true?

Also apparently on the rear you can use any shock for either the drivers or passenger side as its the same part for both sides?

Thanks, aidan

Seen a shock but its for right hand side, not left so if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!?

Rang up Mercedes today, apparently the 500, 600 and 55 all share the same suspension... The question now is will a drivers side rear strut fit a passenger side as some people seem to think it does but all merc could tell me is that they are different part numbers!

Get in touch with Olly. (PCS Ltd ) He looks after my CL and knows everything about the ABC.A valued member of the Forum.

they are expensive. What is actually wrong with the shock, there is someone in liverpool that recons them.

I have found a left one :)! Basically if you look behind the plastic cover on the strut, you can see the shock. There is a yellowy orange sort of seal on the shock which looks melted. I can hear a knocking noise when going over bumps. There doesnt appear to be any fluid leaking from the shock though.

i believe he is talking about the guys in this thread:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres/119565-abc-ball-joint-repair-recondition.html

OK, so who knows how to get to where the rear shock bolts to the inside of the arch.

I have removed the back seats and the boot trim but cant see where the strut is attached anywhere, it looks like its surrounded by metal or am I missing something here :\!?!?!?!

If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated!

I know on the s class, there is a clip on the parcel shelf that you remove and you get to the strut through that, it doesnt look like there is anything on the cl though.

The shocks are not all the same from 500, 600 and AMG. The AMG one is different.

Really, this company seem to think they have installed one from a 2000 plate 500 onto a 2001 55amg with no problems.... Any idea where I might be able to get a 2001 55amg one from then (not mercedes lol)!?

Right well I did it today and problem solved :)...The shock cost me £240 including import charges from the states.... not a bad price for the most expensive/problematic thing on the CL's :)

so did you use a 500 shock?

will be buying the cl55 in future , is there anyway to determin when these will feck up?

is there a milage thing or is it age related?

not really, it will happen eventually but tbh by doing it myself, i dont think its as bad as a problem as the hype would suggest. If you are fairly competent, you can easily fit a new strut yourself.

You wont know when it will go wrong, itl just happen one day!!!

i have changed saabs turbos and suspension etc before , so i guess i ca mamage ;)

Yea if you look at the PDF link I posted earlier it explains how to do it there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom