CL thats not Black or silver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spoilsport! :)
Yes, they're on 16", with 225/50 profile tyres. Sadly it's not a ZR1, just the standard L98 motor. You're right - it's an '87 car.
John - thanks - spot on - yes, I've always liked the C4s and this one was just too good to pass.

I'm no expert on Motors Americana, but I do know that just a generation ago we were 3 inches smaller

Wheels and waistline, Matron....

I'm no expert on Motors Americana, but I do know that just a generation ago we were 3 inches smaller

Wheels and waistline, Matron....

Same on a lot of UK motors.

Most of my hot hatches in the 90s, which themselves were from the mid / late 80s, had 14" wheels and 15s were something of a novelty back then.

Remember the first car I bought with 17" wheels in 2000 and those were a crazy size then.

Now 17s sound small and 14s/15s are ridiculously small.

It's a similar story with computer monitors too I find albeit different dimensions of course!

It's the same path I walked along.

I found a number of improvements with the W222 over the W216 personally and it makes the W222 a much nicer car to drive for me.

As good as the W216 looks, I wouldn't buy another or an S Class Coupe now.

Good luck with the sale.

They lost the plot with the S-Coupe :( The 216 and especially the 215 where the last of the CL's the best Mercedes Coupe :) :thumb:

It's the same path I walked along. I found a number of improvements with the W222 over the W216 personally and it makes the W222 a much nicer car to drive for me.
As good as the W216 looks, I wouldn't buy another or an S Class Coupe now. Good luck with the sale.
Got any thoughts on the S500L vs the S500Le ?
I've fancied the saloon since the time I visited the Sindelfingen in 2017, such a Technofest, and "cheap" once the first owner is done with the car and its enormous tax break.

dsc_1262.jpg

They lost the plot with the S-Coupe :( The 216 and especially the 215 where the last of the CL's the best Mercedes Coupe :) :thumb:
Amen to that. Just can't imagine who their target market is.

Can only think that they're trying to follow the Conti GT - a poor benchmark.

Got any thoughts on the S500L vs the S500Le ?
I've fancied the saloon since the time I visited the Sindelfingen in 2017, such a Technofest, and "cheap" once the first owner is done with the car and its enormous tax break.

Having had the S500L for for 2.5 years now, I have to admit it is an immensely-capable all round car and MB have worked some magic there.

It's a fine looking machine too especially in AMG Line guise.

This will almost certainly be my last V8 in my "main" car (should I buy a second more interesting car in the future) as the power is wasted on me now 90% of the time.

However, I cannot pretend the delivery of that "lowly" (by my standards) but still plentiful 455BHP is not addictive and it belies both it's weight and size (much like the CL500 but better) and the S500L only 50kg lighter!

I've not driven an S500Le (which are similar power to the S500L) but I have driven a facelift S450L which has mild hybrid additions as they all do... namely a motor to assist.

It was fine in all honesty although you can tell the model is quite a bit down on power, the 9g was perhaps too many gears and I wasn't hugely impressed with it but then it could have needed a firmware update.

But because it was fine, my focus was always on the differences i.e. it had AirMATIC and larger 20" wheels and whilst the ride was fine, I much prefer the ride with Magic Body Control and 19" wheels I have.

I've stated this on here before but I've been spoilt with this S but it's the only car which has truly followed the ride in the E55 for me.

It doesn't really matter to me whether S500Le or S500L and I would just pick the car based on the options that matter to me.

I do (did) 6000 miles a year in it all in so I am not sure the e would make a huge difference to me, and whilst I am someone who is conscious of my environmental impact, I can't help thinking carrying around all the tech in the e is wasted for most of my particular journeys.

The e probably makes more sense to chauffeurs based in London where I imagine there is an incentive with emissions etc.

John,
Thanks for the thoughts there - really useful.
I've said this before, but my desire for a petrol engined pretty powerful V8 is a "long" way from what Mercedes and the EU wants to give me. They want to give me a more powerful than I can possibly use in the UK, or an environmentally friendly machine that seems to fumble over routine things like "braking" or "changing gear."

You're not alone - I fancy a fast petrol engined 212 after the Cupra goes back, which basically means a 63. 500s are thin on the ground, and ideally I want the 4.7 so that's a non-starter.

213s have more choice, but are probably a bit too new and I hate the mandatory red/black interior trim that appears to be on every E43. The 222 looks lovely, but I'm not quite sure I'm that brave.

Interesting reading this thread....I just sold my C216 CL500 (TT) and bought a W222 - albeit a lowly 350d....never thought I'd say it but prefer the W222 even with a diesel engine ….I shall now quietly go away and hide... :(

Interesting reading this thread....I just sold my C216 CL500 (TT) and bought a W222 - albeit a lowly 350d....never thought I'd say it but prefer the W222 even with a diesel engine ….I shall now quietly go away and hide... :(
Well, you'll be hiding with the vast majority of W222 owners, who all bought the diesel as well.

I've had four different BMW 3 litre diesel estates over the last two decades. All reliable, economic cars but with engines that made me switch back to petrol afterwards, but "they say" diesels get better and better....

And the irritating bit for me is that to get a SWB W222 in the UK it has to be an S350CDI... everything else is LWB.

Well, you'll be hiding with the vast majority of W222 owners, who all bought the diesel as well.

I've had four different BMW 3 litre diesel estates over the last two decades. All reliable, economic cars but with engines that made me switch back to petrol afterwards, but "they say" diesels get better and better....

And the irritating bit for me is that to get a SWB W222 in the UK it has to be an S350CDI... everything else is LWB.
I also previously had a 3 litre BMW diesel (7 series) but had so many problems with it I ran to the CL500 !....You're right about the S500 W222 being only available in LWB...one of the reasons I decided against the S500 as I only wanted the SWB (as well as the sheer rarity and silly prices being asked for the S500) and this S350 was an absolute steal with very low mileage....Time will tell if I made the right choice....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom