CL203 Headlight/sidelight bulbs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamRocky

Car
Mercedes CL203 200CDI
I wasn’t sure where to post this. Quick question really. I’m looking to change the headlight and sidelight bulbs on a 56 CL203.

There is nothing wrong with the bulbs in the car. They are of course OEM, the more yellow kind of light, but function fine for what they are. The headlight lenses are crystal clear which helps, but I would like a brighter clearer light from the bulbs.

Does anyone have any suggestions as looking at them online is mind boggling from your dubiously cheap eBay jobs to the mind boggling expensive. Of course it’s headlights and I’m changing to increase safety, effectiveness and reliability not get bulbs that break or don’t really increase visibility.

Thank you all for any info/suggestions.

Last edited:
Likely to be W5W (501s)

You need LED with Canbus error free resistors built in. Don't get cheap ones make sure they have CREE diodes on them.

I used to sell them on here 10 years ago :thumb:

Moving to correct section

I wasn’t sure where to post this. Quick question really. I’m looking to change the headlight and sidelight bulbs on a 56 CL203.

There is nothing wrong with the bulbs in the car. They are of course OEM, the more yellow kind of light, but function fine for what they are. The headlight lenses are crystal clear which helps, but I would like a brighter clearer light from the bulbs.

Does anyone have any suggestions as looking at them online is mind boggling from your dubiously cheap eBay jobs to the mind boggling expensive. Of course it’s headlights and I’m changing to increase safety, effectiveness and reliability not get bulbs that break or don’t really increase visibility.

Thank you all for any info/suggestions.
What types are the bulbs ?
H7 main beam and 501 12V 5W for Side lights. Pretty old school really …

Likely to be W5W (501s)

You need LED with Canbus error free resistors built in. Don't get cheap ones make sure they have CREE diodes on them.

I used to sell them on here 10 years ago :thumb:

Moving to correct section
Thank you! I really just want something improved on the standard bulbs but not something crummy, that messes the car up or just breaks

Osram Night Breaker 200 H7

64210nb200-hcb_750_750.jpg

Will need Canbus control units but the finest 501 sidelights for you are 4000K Philips XtremeVision LED as they have ceramic bodies with a light diffuser .

Philips_Xtreme_Vision_T10_ceramic_4000_127994000K_XU_LED_F_14_750_750.jpg

Last edited:
No experience with them , Philips will sell them but I guess they are simple resistors and available more cheaply on the bay .

I tried a selection of 5w 501 LED's in my S204, they're a PITA to install in a 204, none lasted very long, I think the side/position lights (one of each each side!) enclosure is small and I think the LED's fail through overheating fairly quickly. I got fed up of skinning my fingers and swearing changing the damned things and reverted to original blue filament bulbs!

However, as mentioned above, I have changed dip and main to Osram NB's, much better than originals and so far (touch wood rapidly) have lasted well, especially the dips which are on whenever the engine is running!

Osram night breakers for sure.

Sidelights supplied by Killohertz years ago are still going strong. They and the nightbreakers will keep the road ahead well lit and you safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom