CL216??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
Always loved these and after reading a article in MB enthusiast.. I'm going to take the plunge... budget £25k up to £30k for a lower owner- mileage car.

Any pointers on the engine to go for - it will be a low miles probably 3k a year so engine size not really a factor the V12 maybe a bit brave, so I'm thinking CL63.

Very nice car indeed. I read the same article this morning and if I wasn't besotted by the w209 class I'd be tempted also (not to mention my budget not stretching early that far!

It really depends what you want.

I really didn't want another AMG so for everyday driving, a standard CL500BE (4.7TT) is very nearly as fast in the real world as a CL63 but without the expensive brakes etc. Economy of the 500 vs the 63 will be the same pretty much but with your mileage - negligible! You could of course remap the CL500 as with a twin turbo engine if you did want the extra, the returns would be pretty good. I didn't bother because it was amazing as is.

I'm not a huge fan of the MCT-7 gearbox either that you get in AMGs of this vintage. I've yet to drive one which is smooth and consistent.

Obviously buying is less too for a CL500 - a 2013 car can be had for around £20k now. Whereas you are into to late 20s / early 30s for a comparable CL63.

On the other hand, if you do want that bit extra and something a bit more special, and the extra performance as small as it is (particularly if you intend to modify it and then of course it will be significantly more), I would definitely go for a CL63. The gearbox might be fine for you.

I'd always advocate trying them both to see what suits you more and to see if the difference is worth it. In my mind, the extra cost of a CL63 unless you intend to modify isn't value for money.

V12 is definitely a heart purchase as it is a heavy engine, not great on efficiency (which is fine if you get the value out of it, I know I wouldn't) and not much if any quicker than the CL63. You do get the slushy 5 speed although you will be unlikely to find a facelift CL65. I've only seen a picture of one! I am not brave enough to take on a V12.

The bottom line for me is this a wafty grand tourer and doesn't really work in AMG guise. It's a heavy car and it feels it and doesn't like to be chucked about (even though the handling is amazing for a car of its size).

Last edited:
Perhaps @C43AMG will be able to offer some valuable insight into a CL63 as he has one. :)

Personally I think they are beautiful looking cars and a rare sight on the roads in whatever guise, the 63 more so.

Thanks John, I did see the newer 500 is a 4.7 TT. I'm pretty sold on the 63. Now the search for colour combo and options.

I want something designo or blue tanzanite or similar.. no grey interiors!

Nice.. but spending cash I going to be fussy and wait for the right car. Has to have a light in interior. Not grey.

Well my budget has been revised with a little man math. Looking up to £45k.. I don't do finance so a cash purchase.. I should be able to purchase a pretty special CL or maybe even some thing more exotic from MB for £45k.

Same Colour as my CL it replaced Tanzanite. If you want a saloon that is the one,very good spec.

The bottom line for me is this a wafty grand tourer and doesn't really work in AMG guise. It's a heavy car and it feels it and doesn't like to be chucked about (even though the handling is amazing for a car of its size).

I don't know if your 500 has ABC John ? My CL certainly doesn't waft, especially with the Quaife fitted :) I have done a couple of 3000 Miles tours around Europe and the AMG suspension is ideal for all roads especially in sport mode. As John mentioned re modifying the 63, i had Acid ( MSL ) re-map my CL 700 bhp + 850 lb/ft and it has become a serious Grand Toure :D + they are very rare. Good luck with your search.

Saved Adverts

That is a Designo colour very rare and a very good price if it is indeed the advanced engine, which is a £ 6,000 option.

With that budget you’re into a 2015 main dealer new stylie S class coupe- based on the W222. Gorgeous bit of kit:

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

Saved Adverts

With that budget you’re into a 2015 main dealer new stylie S class coupe- based on the W222. Gorgeous bit of kit:

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

Saved Adverts
I’d have to have the wheels back to silver on that one though.

Nice.. but spending cash I going to be fussy and wait for the right car. Has to have a light in interior. Not grey.

At that price, I think I can safely predict that all of them will have a light in the interior. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom