CL420 Just switches off!! Help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CL420-ROB

Car
1997 Mercedes CL420
Anyone know why a 97' CL420 would just switch itself when ticking over stationary, or when coasting up to junctions?

Very intermittent, never happens when bombing along using the gas, only coasting, or idling.

Snap on scanner indicated issues with throttle body potentiometer and air mass sensor but not convinced.
Took off throttle body to clean butterfly and now have rough/erratic idle problem (gasket sound no vacuum leak).

When disconnecting the Air mass sensor while engine is running it does not affect the running of the vehicle and does not switch on the Engine Management Light?

Seems odd.

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Check the throttle switch is being activated just before the throttle closes to idle.

Thanks Dieselman, how do I go about doing that? I am a qualified HGV Tech but a little in the dark as to where things are and how they work on this car, I work on fire engines most of the day so this is a learning curve, despite rebuilding the engine last year after the chain snapped:(
This car has a fly by wire throttle, cable to potentiometer and then a motor on the throttle body. Dont think ive noticed a switch as such anywhere?

If its like my W124 then there is a tiny switch on the accelerator pedal linkage... If the linkage wears the switch doesnt always make contact and then the ASR system may shut off fuel supply at idle...
Could be a million other switches though, needs to go on star really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom