CL500/600 & child seats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IwanttobuyaCL, May 20, 2015.

1. IwanttobuyaCL

IwanttobuyaCL New Member

Car:
    W216 CL600
    Hello all. New joiner here. I currently do not own a car but have been eyeing a CL for a long time. I am now ready to buy but have a not so small concern: we have a baby on the way and I don't know how compatible a CL would be with that. Would welcome forum views. A few things:

• have test driven a CL and feel it has adequate space in the back and boot for 2 plus 1
    • would only be using as a weekend car (we tube to work) and for some planned road trips in France and elsewhere in the future
    • it seems that the only way to comfortably get a child seat in is to lower the rear window on the CL and (obviously) pull forward the driver's seat but it seems do-able although I do not have either seat or baby to practice with!
    • every one I have mentioned buying a coupe to has laughed and said "it won't work with a small child" but the CL is obviously not the usual coupe in size terms and very few have seen up close let alone test drive
    The alternative is buy something else but nothing really does it for me like the CL. For my budget (c.£25k) nothing in the MB range has the combination of grunt and luxury...unless I am missing something? I have ruled out the S Class as it has the chauffeur look in my view.

So the question is: am I mad to buy a CL? If so, what is the next best thing in your opinion?

Thanks all!

2. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    I had a clk and struggled to get the child seat in and out of the back seat ( I do realise that the cl is quite a bit bigger than a clk )

In the end I got so fed up with it we got rid of the clk and bought a cls.

Perhaps this is the way forward for you ? No v12 option in the cls though if that is what is making you think of a cl ? Plenty of grunt in a 63 cls though and the interior is a nice place to be.

I wouldn't have a 2 door car with a child seat again.

I suppose you could buy two child seats and leave one in the cl at all times ?

3. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Got to agree with Howard above. 2 doors and a child seat are not a good combination.
    My missus has a 2 door Focus and really struggles when it comes to parking our grandson in the child seat. No problem at all in my E class.

4. Gareth Kent

Gareth Kent Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I have a CLS and to be honest it's 10 x harder to get the little dude in that vs my Mrs ML. Fine as it's usually just me in the CLS but would never consider a coupe as a main car (that is with kids)...

5. MBDevotee

MBDevotee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK270 & ML500
    Gotta +1 the above.

If you can leave the Car seat in situ (we have 3 cars in the family so have 6 car seats!) that's one thing, however you have to think of logistics - the child needs to be put in and taken out again - that means folding the seat forward. Then you have to lift them in and out - that means clambering into the back holding a newborn whilst supporting his head....

Then they get older. 2 year olds are way too heavy to carry into and out of a seat in a 2 door, but not really old enough to get themselves in and out - that will be even worse.

Once they can climb in themselves, get into the seat and put their arms through the straps (our 4yr old can do this now fairly well (if she wants to and isn't in the mood to be difficult)) but our 3 year old sometimes will, sometimes won't - then all you need to do is climb in and do up the straps clicking them into place.

In short - don't do it. Accept as I have that for 5 years you need a "sensible" car - and get something stylish you like that has 4 doors.

6. OP
    OP
    IwanttobuyaCL

IwanttobuyaCL New Member

Car:
    W216 CL600
    Thanks for all the replies so far. The feedback I feared!!! I wait in vain for someone who has actually managed with a CL (before I change my user handle!). If it doesn't work I will probably trim the budget and go for an E Class.

7. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Put the child seat in the front and have the wife in the back? ;)

8. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    No need to go for a big name change ... Just add an 'S' on the end ;)

9. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    I found my CL55 very easy to get the children in and out, the nature of a big two door coupe is that you can swing your leg in to the footwell for traction which is something you'll struggle to do with a four door.

10. Driver15

Driver15 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Currently in a Hire Car
    As above.. Plus if you want to go for a decent safe infant isofix seat with base that will make things a lot harder too.

Think... Pouring down with rain and you need to get the newborn in the car asap... Open door, mount seat or open passenger door, fold seat back, climb in, mount seat get out.

Your call but it will be hard work.

Ps.. Did it once in a a5 coupe and that was a nightmare getting the maxi cost seat onto the isofix base at such a odd angle

11. OP
    OP
    IwanttobuyaCL

IwanttobuyaCL New Member

Car:
    W216 CL600
    Interesting, and thanks for the feedback. I might have to buy a car seat (which I will need in any case) and take it along to a CL test drive to see how I feel about it.

Will wait to see if anyone else has experience of living with the CL and babies/very young children.

12. MBDevotee

MBDevotee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK270 & ML500
    Done it with Clk - Clk was sold a month later....

13. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    A Mercedes 4 door ? This any good ?

[​IMG]

14. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    Oh , in some newer Mercedes cars , you have to use the official MB approved child seat / infant carrier , which has a transponder to communicate with the car's electronic systems and turn off airbags as appropriate .

15. Silver CL55

Silver CL55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    (W216) 2008 CL 500, Tanzanite blue with tan leather. (W230) 2005 SL350, Black with sand leather
    The W216, which from your price range is the model you are discussing, is really not easy to get in and out of the back of.
    The front seats don't see to go forward enough for really easy access.

I love my CL but I could not recommend it for the purpose you suggest.
    S class sounds the one for you.

16. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    We have done it, but the child seat went in the front...

I realise its not ideal in terms of crash safety but we bought the Mercedes seat which turns off the passenger airbag.

You can actually just buy the modules that turn off the pass airbag and then fit any child seat that works with seat belts.

17. m2287

m2287 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    Had a CL for the last 5 years, use it daily, school runs the lot and never have a problem (kids are 5 and 2 now, I bought the CL as the SLK was not doable with only 2 seats)

18. OP
    OP
    IwanttobuyaCL

IwanttobuyaCL New Member

Car:
    W216 CL600
    Hi m2287,

Thanks for your response. So it sounds like you had no problems using a child seat - would you have any hesitation in recommending someone buy a CL in my position or would you say for e.g. don't do if you are not physically able to bend over a front seat or something? Any tips or advisories very welcome!

Thanks.

19. m2287

m2287 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    No problems at all... The seats move forward electrically when you open them anyway and I never had an issue with not being able to get a seat out!!! Obviously if you can't get in the back yourself it wouldn't be a good idea as you do have to get back there to strap them in!

20. OP
    OP
    IwanttobuyaCL

IwanttobuyaCL New Member

Car:
    W216 CL600
    By way of follow up to this thread I have recently taken the plunge and bought a low mileage 2007 CL600. Love the car, everything I expected it would be. Have had it fitted up for a child seat at Mothercare (Maxi Cosi Cabrio Fix for any who may search this thread later) - its all do-able in my opinion although the new arrival is yet to arrive! To be clear the car is not a daily driver but will be used for weekend trips etc.

Tags: