CL500/C216 How to replace window seals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Riva811

Car
CL500 Blueefficiency
Hi the seal attached on the rear windows in place where a b-pillar should of been on the C215/216/217 seems to have reached its end of life on my car. Anyone aware how they can be replaced? They seem to be glued on the window. I guess a heat gun will ruin the laminate on the window?
s-l1600.png

Hi the seal attached on the rear windows in place where a b-pillar should of been on the C215/216/217 seems to have reached its end of life on my car. Anyone aware how they can be replaced? They seem to be glued on the window. I guess a heat gun will ruin the laminate on the window?
View attachment 121232
The seal fits into the black metal housing which I presume is either bonded to the glass or press fitted. The seal may not even be glued into the housing but just pushed in. Wouldn't go anywhere with a heat gun that's for sure. I'd be using a plastic trim tool to prise out, but get the replacement first!

Edit - just realised that item 200 in your diagram is described as "sealing cord" which could be some sort of tube adhesive or adhesive strip to glue the seal in place.

Seaing cord is most likely butyl rope often used for seaing rubber seals to body. (rear boot seal on slR230 uses it.

Thanks for the replies. I did a bit more research and it looks like you just pull it out and slide a new one in its place. Ordered replacements off ebay now as I am hearing a bit of noise and wind in the cabin this winter.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Bump, the s-class doesn't need the sealing cord but the cl does. Need to order some and figure out how it is taken out and replaced

When I replaced mine I didn't use any sealing cord.

Old one slid up and off, new one needed some soapy water to slide down. I used a little bit of black window sealant on the top part.

Been the best part of 3 years now and I've had no issues with wind noise or anything.

I believe the sealing cord is only required when replacing the long rubber seal (item 40).

Last edited:
When I replaced mine I didn't use any sealing cord.

Old one slid up and off, new one needed some soapy water to slide down. I used a little bit of black window sealant on the top part.

Been the best part of 3 years now and I've had no issues with wind noise or anything.
OK thanks for confirming. I will give it a go soon.

Attempted to replace mine today. Seems to be a bit of a hard work on the last mm. Driver side has about 1mm left to come in and close while the passenger side probably 5mm as I got bored and tired :p
Will come back to them another day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom