CL500 doubts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John, Dec 4, 2016.

1. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    Having had the car for nearly 3 months, I really love the serene waft and open airiness of the car - very light inside and a great car to drive. It's been a real tonic to the E55K and has seen my driving behaviour improve to levels of patience I don't think I've ever seen before.

But for those who predicted I would get bored of the CL within a short space of time... :crazy:

I'm glad I didn't go for the Lexus LS460 although I was warned by a few and rightly so. I thought this was the direction I wanted but then again, we all make mistakes from time to time!

I've no intention of modding the car as I am not really interested in doing that any more - at least to the extent of the last car. I don't mind the odd thing but anyway, I don't think that will solve the issue here...

I am not looking for more speed at all - whilst the CL is clearly not far off the performance of a standard E55K, which is incredible for a 2050kg car, but there is just no hint of anything going on other than movement.

Eh? - the car is just too good at being a luxury cruiser with a super-smooth ride but it just doesn't grab me by the knackers... no drama, no theatre, no performance, no noise!!!

:headinhands:

So I am contemplating going for a Granturismo because that has everything the CL is missing for me. Granturismos are not fast in the same league as my E55K was, just like the CL, so I know they will not tempt me to race anything!

I'm not in any hurry and I need to sell the CL first although my director might be interested so will see.

:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  2. Red C220

Red C220 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 SL400 : 2017 S6 Avant
    Don't start doing Man Maths, you'll end up with all sorts of Italian trouble :rolleyes:

3. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ), 2010 Brabus Smart ( Exclusive ) )
    CL 6.3 biturbo Drama, Theatre, Performance and Noise :thumb::cool::D

3 people like this.
  4. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55
    I'd go twin turbo AMG if you can afford it. 500 CL would bore me to death too.

And yeah. Welcome back John

:D

:thumb:

2 people like this.
  5. Tmc

Tmc Active Member

Car:
    Ford
    Buy a Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat then!:D

6. OP
    OP
    John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    I hanker for V8 flat plane crank but I have no interest in a Ferrari per se.

:bannana:

7. HB

HB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E63 5.5TT, E350 CDI, C320 CDI, S3
    John. Just go and get yourself the 212 E63. You'll feel fine then.

It's funny as I really would like your car.

1 person likes this.
  8. C240Sport97

C240Sport97 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SL400 and 911 GT3
    fit a straight through exhaust :)

unlike you, I am very happy with my SL400 and its bi turbo V6 ... much as I miss the V8 Kompressor of the CLS55

1 person likes this.
  9. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    The thing is that even though you were looking for something more refined than the E55K, maybe it's a bit too refined, it is nice to still have that bit of hooligan just under the surface.

I think it also shows how great the W211 E55 is, such a hard act to follow but a Maserati can fill (and exceed) that void.

1 person likes this.
  10. Red C220

Red C220 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 SL400 : 2017 S6 Avant
  11. Mr Kripling

Mr Kripling Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL55, Phaeton W12, Passat W8 (RIP)
    Honestly, I think the solution is an AMG CL with Distronic. With it turned on and set to the speed limit I can happily cruise without getting my blood pressure up. However, the noise and drama when the car is set to sport mode still butters my parsnips.

3 people like this.
  12. Abb

Abb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C43 W202 Project, Mercedes ML350, Honda Fireblade RR-D
    Whats not to like.....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  13. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    w211 e55k
    ^ What he says:rock:

1 person likes this.
  14. DSB SL AMG

DSB SL AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
  15. C36fan

C36fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 C63, 2012 CLS63, 2001 E55 & 2016 Vito 119CDI
    Have a go at cls 63 John, the mezza it's a good looking car but it will bore you as much as the cl500 mate .

1 person likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    I was looking at Adam's CLS63. I was thinking "if only I'd waited..." :rolleyes:

Saying that, I will not behave in it so the solution needs drama without as much go.

I will be back to where I was earlier in the year otherwise.

Having nailed the CL500 once or twice - I know a modded CL63 or even CL65 would be absolutely unbelievable.

In fact, anything with a modded 5.5TT would be superb. Definitely the superior engine.

Although the 6.2 would be better because I could get the drama without the savage modding capability temptation (at sensible money i.e. not supercharging it).

That's what I said to myself when I was looking around it... :crazy: It's stunning as a car (apart from the rear straight on I think) - especially with the 20" wheels, AMG bodykit and frameless doors.

At least I know I can still live with a coupe!

The issue is it is more of a head car than a heart car and as Lee says - too refined for me.

I'm happy for you. I wish I could say the same. I would imagine the SL400 would have the same effect as the CL500 does on me though.

In my mind, the Masser is on a higher plane, even if it is about the same performance of the CL500. In all honesty, the speed is more than quick enough for me now when trying to avoid temptation.

I just need something a little more special.

It's not the performance that is wrong - it's the utter lack of character and the Masser has it in spades in my mind!

17. OP
    OP
    John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
  18. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    w211 e55k
    5.5 e63 tt mate Awesome car

1 person likes this.
  19. HumberMart

HumberMart Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL500 4.7 twin turbo
    Typical thread timing.....

I just put a deposit on a CL500 4.7TT on Friday evening. Due to collect later this week.

I must admit the total refinement/lack of character was the only concern. I tested an 07 5.5 three years ago and it failed to tempt me from my CLS.

However with the twin turbo and 435 BHP, plus this one is fully loaded, it seemed a no brainier for 20% of its purchase price when new!

In 11 months I'll either be keen to shift it before the warranty expires and return to 2 litre mediocrity, or wonder why it took me so long to go V8.

Still how could I resist those soft close doors, split screen TV, and cooled seats.

1 person likes this.
  20. DSB SL AMG

DSB SL AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
    I really think the Maser would hit the spot John, theatre on offer every day:D, don't think you would get bored with this:thumb:

[YOUTUBE]bct9Swhm6P4[/YOUTUBE]

1 person likes this.
Tags: