CL500 estimate of repair costs or write-off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Happy New Year all,

Had a bit of a bend in the snow and my 2003 CL 500 hit a lamp post

Now have list of parts required

Bumper
Bonnet
Metal crash limiter
Radiator grill
Air con rad
Coolant rad
Headlamp wash
Engine shield
Paint wing
Jig safety check
Alignment check
Road test

This sounds V expensive to me and bordering on a write off

What does the team reckon please?

Many thanks

Sorry to hear that. I would estimate the cost first and then decide.

All depends on what your relationship with the car is long term, I damaged a door, main bodyshops all quoted over £2000, but a backstreet one did a fill and paint job for under 200 (in fact I got them to respray the bumper as well, and do some dents and it came to under 500). I'm not looking at selling it any time soon and it's an 8 yr and 170k mile car, so it's not going to impact the value, and although it's not an invisible repair it's only noticable if you know what to look for.

I would not be surprised if the cost of the parts and labour came to much more than the cars book value, if so and you're going to insurance you may be able to negotiate a cash settlement and get it fixed at an independant body repair place.

That ought to be fixable using mostly second hand parts. If there is no structural damage that may well make the difference between writing the car off and saving it.

That ought to be fixable using mostly second hand parts. If there is no structural damage that may well make the difference between writing the car off and saving it.
Agreed. And apart from the painting and jigging / alignment check most of the work that you have listed should be within the scope of a reasonably competent DIY-er.

The list of parts looks expensive I suppose it will come down to your insurance companies valuation of the car

That's what I thought too Howard & Colin, I needed a second opinion.

Difficult car to value as there seems to be a huge range of prices out there.

There's a 2002 in MB Birmingham at £12900 and a 2004 at MB Macclesfield at £15990

Shall we open a book at what their first offer is?

Can you have a deal with them and sort out a contract repair ?

I'm going to say £8k as their opening offer.

I would have to agree with Howard on this one re value.
Just make sure that you are sat down when the call comes...

Basically, the auto repair estimate and maintenance cost on this car isn't much different than for any other car. I would put the yearly maintenance on almost any Benz at about $1200-$2500 per year, some years way less, some years way more, but that's probably the average to have everything done correctly by an independent MB mechanic, including all preventive maintenance.

If going to MB for repairs, then I would imagine it would definitely be written off. HTH

Last edited:
Looks like it is getting repaired chaps.
Had a letter this morning estimating it will be back with me in about 10 - 14 days

Will give them a call on Monday to see what he score is.

Looks like it is getting repaired chaps.
Had a letter this morning estimating it will be back with me in about 10 - 14 days

Will give them a call on Monday to see what he score is.

Would you rather have it back, or written off?

Is it structural intact? If not when its sold, and its not on the register, someone will unwittingly buy a car thats been "bent"

Would you rather have it back, or written off?

Is it structural intact? If not when its sold, and its not on the register, someone will unwittingly buy a car thats been "bent"

There's no problem with having a car professionally repaired, especially when you know it has been, and it's got to be better than buying another car that you don't have a clue of the real history of.

I dread pranging, value is what, c. £4000. That's barely a bumper and a headlamp these days, anything structural would be write off territory if it were me claiming on my own insurance - so if someone hits me I'll use an accident management company to help me get the outcome I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom