CL500 - First Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigJock2005

Car
CL500
Hello Everyone

I'm new to the forum just having bought a 2002 CL500 with 74k on the clock - see my brief on the new members introduction page. I got the car for a good price (I think) as it has a funny noise. Most sensible people would walk away of course, but my dysfunctional brain took a risk and grabbed a bargain.

When the motor is really warmed up (like after my first drive at @*? mpg along the M4) then I have a light metallic rattling from beneath the drivers seat. It's present at idle (so not road speed related) and also when either cruising under engine brake, or driving on light throttle.

On searching the forums, it seems that broken-up cats are a common problem. I will jack her up tomorrow and give the rear cans a bash and see if I can hear anything.

Some have said that damaged cats can wreck the motor - any views on this. I would have thought that the rear cats are quite far from the motor, and the gas flow is clearly the right way to carry crap AWAY from the motor.

I've attached a sound file from my phone in which you can hear the noise clearly. I am blipping the throttle while stationary in Park.

Is a broken cat likely, and if that's what it is can I drive her until I get it replaced?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Jock

Hi Jock

Just remove the secondary cats if they are rattling ( the car will still pass an MOT without them ). Improves the sound of the car as well ;)

Either put a straight through pipe in their place or get your local garage to cut them open , take out the contents and weld them back up.

Welcome on board by the way.

Had the same problem recently on my S500.

Secondary cat was rattly - both cats cut out and replaced by a piece of straight pipe.

Problem solved.

I've done the same on the E430 ... Removed secondary cats.

Also check for rattle of the various aluminium heat shields around the exhaust.
The mountings tend to fail and then they rattle and clatter at various speeds.

As above done the same, and it sounds a lot better..

If you do end up getting the secondary cats removed this should be declared as a modification to your insurer.

done the same to my cl55!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom