cl500 front strut creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianc

Car
CL500
I've an '05 cl500 with about 50k miles on it and the front driver strut has started to creak a lot on any sort of bump. It also does it if I use the dash button to raise or lower the car.

I think I've isolated it to the strut rather than any of the other suspension joints but I haven't taken the protective cover off ot examine inside yet. The strut still seems to be funstioning fine.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did ye do about it?

What type of system is it? ABC or airmatic?

Is it leaking ? If so a new strut.

No leaks

It is most likely to be the lower ball joint on the hub.

might be the rubber on the top of the strut. They are the rubbish and perish. they then dont do their job and cause damage to the strut. trouble is, merc dont sell just the £5 rubber part they want to sell you the whole 1k part, typical mercedes that.

I've an '05 cl500 with about 50k miles on it and the front driver strut has started to creak a lot on any sort of bump. It also does it if I use the dash button to raise or lower the car.

I think I've isolated it to the strut rather than any of the other suspension joints but I haven't taken the protective cover off ot examine inside yet. The strut still seems to be funstioning fine.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did ye do about it?

As Olly has indicated i would take a look at the lower ball joint. I had the creaking you have. If you try to grip the ball joint while someone gently pushes down on the top of the wing above the wheel you will 'feel' the creak of a dry joint. Also check for a cracking to the rubber seal.

I just had my ball joint replaced and now no creaking!

Nothing
43.gif

There are better ways of getting your post count up.

I got some motorcycle chain lub (runny and penetrating initially and then turns into a sticky greese) sprayed into the ball joint at the bottom of the strut and all squeaks are gone..... for the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom